cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.

bolbec
Level 3
I'm running BE 12.0 SP5

Having some troubles (as many others seem to be as well) backing up System State; I'm getting the message "To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required." along with an error code of E000FE7D.

I've searched these forums and many others, trying all of the solutions that I've found to no avail, with the exception of uninstalling the particular hotfix that started all of this.  Since I'm running SP5 now, I assume I'd have to uninstall SP5, and then search through and uninstall that particular hotfix; I don't really want to do that.

I have the BE services running on the domain admin account now (I've been trying a lot of different things to find a solution) I've added the domain admin account (and the backupexec account I created previously) to the Backup Operators group as was suggested on several threads marked solved; I just don't see a reason for this to not work.  Anybody out there that can shed some light on this?
13 REPLIES 13

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
The account on which you backup exec services are running , give that account Local admin rights on the remote system on which the backup fails  http://support.veritas.com/docs/339525

bolbec
Level 3
Unfortunatly that server is a domain controller, so that doesn't really work out; I saw that solution as well, should have mentioned it in my original post.

Zuaib
Level 2
Employee Accredited

Please check the system Logon Account. Go to network | logon accounts in Backup Exec and Check the account.
It should be of the format  Domain name\user_id.

If the system logon account  is correct then check if the backup exec services are running on the same domain admin account as the system logon account. ( The only exception would be the remote agent service that will run on  local account)

bolbec
Level 3

All is fine there; I saw a thread suggesting the format for the account names and tried that last week, no joy.

I tried switching accounts around this morning before I made my original post, that didn't help either.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Login to the server with the account that you used in BE to backup the system state and then use NTBackup to backup the system state.  This will show whether there any problem with using the account to backup the system state.  If NTBackup is able to backup the system state with the account, then BE should have no problems using the account fo backup the system state.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Don't know how much this info will help as it is more background info than a solution.

There are security limitions against VSS  that means that for Backup Exec to do System State and Shadow Copy backup we need Local Admin (or in the case of a Domain Controller, Domain Admin permissions) Backup Operator is not enough for VSS and the requirement is outside of Symantec's control.

At least one  of the hotfixes related to the error condition was created because without the hotfix there was no warning that on a Domain Controller your Active Directory was not being backed up because of incorrect security. What this meant was that customers using Backup Exec thought they were going from a working state to a failing state by applying the hotfix - when in reality they were going from a hidden failure state (so unable to restore Active Directory) to a warning that there is a failure that needs the security configuration changing.

Because of this we don't recommend removing the hotfix as that hides a condition that you need to know about and any customers having problems that continue when using the Domain Admin account should consider logging a formal support case with Symantec so we can investigate.

bolbec
Level 3

That's exactly why I didn't want to use uninstalling the hotfix as a solution, because that doesn't really fix the problem, it just helps hide it again; I'm not sure what to do at this point, I haven't tried what pkh suggested yet I'll try that next.

bolbec
Level 3

I am unable to backup system state using ntbackup, so this is obviously a permissions issue; the common resolution I have seen is graning the BE user local admin rights on that server, however this server as I stated previously is a domain controller and thus local admin rights aren't possible.  BE user is already a member of domain admins and backup operators...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do you have SEP (Symantec Endpoint Protection) installed on that machine?  If so, try uninstalling SEP and backing up the system state with NTBackup.

bolbec
Level 3
I've got the old school symantec antivirus corporate on there, I'll give that a try though.

playford
Level 3
Partner

Has anyone got any further with this. I have a domain controller as well doing this. It seems to do it on different days as well and not all the time.

Thanks
Mark

dulix
Not applicable

I have running BackupExec 2010 R2 and have the same issue backup up system state. Unfortunately the Windows User of the system logon account was recently deleted. Now i am not able to change the system logon account. It is always asking for a password. Is there an solution to change the system logon account anyway?

Thanks Werner

TGK
Level 2

I am having the same issue on all 10 of my DC that have been backing up perfectly but not since I installed all the hotfixes as of 4/20. Now all my DC's fail to backup. The System Logon Credentials are DOMAIN\administrator and this is exactly how it has always been although I see some peoples creds weren't in that format and it fixed their issues. I spent about 2 hrs on the phone with tech support on 4/28 and to no avail it is still not resolved. We did everything to checking credentials editing the default domain and domain controllers group policies. Still not fixed. HELP PLEASE!!!!