cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble connecting to remote clients

David_Berry
Level 3
This is a fresh install of BE 9.1 on a Windows 2003 Server. Local backups are running fine, but I'm having trouble with clients. I'm trying to backup a XP Pro workstation. When I try to push the remote agent to it, I get an error: "the RPC server is unavailable". So, I then try to install the agent locally (per KB article 255826). This appears to be successful, from the client end, as the agent appears in the "add/remove programs" list. However, I still can't select the client from the BE console, even though if I rightclick on the client and choose properties, the remote agent shows as being installed and running. I also disabled "ForceGuest" on the client (per KB article 241419), and tried to re-deploy the agent, but still no luck. I'm nearing my wit's end here. Please help! I'm grateful for your assistance.
3 REPLIES 3

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
Well, if you are on a W2K3 server, the first question is did you install SP1 for W2K3? That service pack is causing all sorts of network connectivity issues because it can turn on the software firewall, block ports, etc...

Are all your DNS settings in the domain correct?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

We apologise for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Please let us know if your problem is resolved so that we can mark this case as ‘assumed answered’ and move it to ‘answered threads’ pool. However, if the issues still persist then refer to the steps mentioned below:

Check the services on the XP system and check if "Backup Exec Remote
Agent for Windows Servers" is running.
If yes, and you are still unable to connect to the XP systems then check if
the you are able to connect to port 10000 on the XP system, this problem
could also occur if Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) on Windows XP is
enabled.
telnet 10002
-------------------------

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.