cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Evaluate Backup Exec - Error with MOSS Agent / Licensing Query

Mike_Hartley
Level 2
Afternoon all,

I'm currently evaluating Backup Exec 12 (we are version 9 and 10 users at the moment) and need to get the MOSS agent working.

Unfortunately, trying to get it working in the Backup Selection lists gives me an error every time I try to add a server farm of "None of the Web servers for the specified server farm could be accessed" - I have tried googling but get no information that helps. The web servers are all there as our MOSS infrastructure is up and running and I am connecting to them as an Administrator user. HELP!!! Any ideas?

Also - Does the MOSS Agent cover the Server Farm or do you need 1 MOSS Agent for each server in your farm? And do you need a seperate SQLServer backup agent?

All help much appreciated!
4 REPLIES 4

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
We did have the same issue in BEWS 11 which might not have been fixed in BEWS 12 for Quality Assurance issues
Please refer to the following documents to check the ports issues that migth be causing the problem

Exact Error Message
None of the Web servers for the specified server Farm could be accessed.

Mike_Hartley
Level 2
Hi there,

I've since discovered that our SharePoint SSP runs on port 10000 - hence the problems. I have edited the services file on all our sharepoint servers and also on the backup exec server, and restarted that backup exec server - but I still get the same problems.

Any other ideas please???

RahulM
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
What port is NDMP using now on all your servers? Any firewalls?

shawnpoint
Level 3
Hello All -

About a week ago I installed a trial copy of BackUp Exec for Windows v12 with SharePoint + SQL Server options. On our test lab we have one SQL 2005 as the backend for SharePoint.  One web server for all SharePoint services.  Everything seems to be configured correctly in NTLM mode and is working --able to browse portal sites, do Central Admin, index, etc.  MOSS2007 is running on top of Windows 2003 Server SP1 also acting as a file server.  By the way, all of these are in an ESX Virtual machine environment.

The problem:
Backup Exec is installed on a separate server W2k3 SP1 using its own MSDE a the database.  In the Backup Exec when trying to browse the SharePoint selection servers it just pauses and then nothing came back.  When trying to add the Sharepoint server I get this error back: 

'Failed to access  Farm Server 1 (SP-Server1)' ;
Logon Account: System Logon Acccount

'Access is denied'

What I have verified & tried:

1)   Reset the logon account password. The account is a Domain Admin account

2)   Tried with a different User Account that I know have both the SQL DB access as well as Sharepoint access.

3)   Installed Backup Exec 12 right onto the Sharepoint Web-App server - Same exact error.

4)   Checked that I am able to ping, browse, connect to the SP-Server1 (sharepoint server) using commandline & Explorer.
5)   Pulled my hair on this one....

So if Symantec can be so kind to look into this.  We have our production Sharepoint environment up and runing currently we can only backup using the standard stsadm.exe method - which does NOT offer granular recovery and it sucks.  We would like to use something like BackUp Exec 12 which it claimed that GRT is there for that.

Thanks.