cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to backup a drive that is not there ?

mli7777
Level 5

I have a job that on occation will say it missed say drive L:?

The backup does not have a drive L: in it and only goes to F:.

It is only backing up itself it has is the backup exec. server.

Even when you look at the text version of the backup that drive letter is not mentioned.

So where is the ghost of drive L: coming from ???

Thanks

Mike

14 REPLIES 14

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you please post the job log?

Thanks

mli7777
Level 5

Can do ...

Had to save in text format is that ok ?

Thanks

Mike

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

According to the log it's k:\ and L:\ and they appear to be related to SEP.

Is SEP doing anything during the time of the backup?

Kapil_Khot
Level 3
Employee

Does any of the drives selected for backup has a mount point ( that points to L: drive )? Also, Have you tried rebooting the server?

mli7777
Level 5

Where do I look to tell about the mount point ??

I reboot this server a couple times a week lately.  I had an issue with this same backup we fixed a couple weeks ago as it does not mount one of the sys volumes when you reboot.   So until I can call Microsoft I have to use diskpart to mount it.  

When I do that it seems to backup ok right after I do that and force a backup.

Then it seems the next week even though I look at the writers and if that volume is still mounted and all looks good the next automatic backup gives me these errors.

I have rebooted it today and that backup is running as we speak and if history repeats itself it will finish ok.

Then next week when it runs auto I get some kind of failure.

Make sense ?

Mike

mli7777
Level 5

As suspected it did backup 100% successful after a reboot.   But does still reference those drive letters as being missed as a exception ??

Attaching log.

Thanks

Mike

mli7777
Level 5

Just saw the SEP question.   I do not see anything Symantec related even in the control panel except BE and DLO.

Not sure if that is a bad thing ?  May have to talk to them about that.   :)

Mike

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Go to the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BEDB.

mli7777
Level 5

Sounds like a plan.

Giving that a shot.

This backup does not run till Thursday so will see.

Thanks

Mike

Biker_Dude
Level 5
Employee

What happened since your last reply?

mli7777
Level 5

Sorry for loosing track of having this open. 

It is still kind of wierd.  I did the repair and it seemed to work the next time.

The next time the backup referenced those drive letters again and I can tell those drive letters are pointing to other servers with things it is trying to backup.

I go to the computer management console and look at shares.   And low and behold those in question are there?   If you right click on them and say open they fail.   If you right click on them and tell it to stop sharing them it says it is a admin. share are you sure you want to do this.   It says they will come back the next time you reboot.   So I have taken a small chance :)   and stopped the share and have the backup running as we speak.  I am curious as to what it will do then.

I am hoping to get a backup with history of them not being included ?

Not sure why it thinks those are admin. shares when they are going to another server like a mapped share?  And they do not work everytime you reboot but they do show up in the shared folder in comptuer management everytime?

Thanks for checking back.

Long winded enough and weird enough answer?  lol

Mike

mli7777
Level 5

OK I am truly confused now.

The backup I forced to start ran like it should and I was hoping.   It says it was 100% successful.   This is a VM server backin up itself and has drives C:, D:, E: and F: that are a part of the server.  This was after I stopped sharing the extra admin. shares.

Those drives are shown to be backed up correctly.  

Well the backup finished before the next scheduled one came along so it started that scheduled job like it is supposed to.  It some how got some of the shares I stopped sharing to start sharing again as the next job started. 

And now I look at the shares in computer shares console and the J: and K: drivers are back and it attempted to backup at least the K: drive and got many errors but did backup more data as the first one was around 200 gig and the one that added the K: drive is at almost 300 gig.

Adding some pictures. 

One showing how the server knows it has 4 drives.

One showing the errors on the second scheduled backup when it finds the new K: drive that I had stopped sharing and show how the OS and server thinks these are admin shares.   I don't get how they became that?  I look at the VM settings and it only shows the drives that are C-F. 

And one picture showing the drives showing up as admin. shares.

Thanks

MIke

mli7777
Level 5

Is there a way to go into the text part of a backup and add some exclusions??  I go into it in the GUI and it won't let me add those drives I don't want to backup. 

Is there a way to add them there ?

It tried to get a bunch of them again this week?

So I have a bunch of errors that I don't want to see.

Any way to just add them to the backup and exclude them?

Thanks

Mike

mli7777
Level 5

Well I found the global exlusions feature.

This server having issues is the primary backup server.

So does anyone know if I add the drives that I do not want in the backup to the globally excluded selection list if it will just exclude those drives that are on that backup server?

I added one and saved it then went back to the backup that is not working right and that exclusion did not show up in that backup but maybe it is not supposed to since it is supposed to be for all backups.

My question is does it start excluding for all backups right away?

And since it is a drive letter I am excluding on the backup server itself I will not be making it so other backups miss something they used to backup?

Thanks

Mike