Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB disk space not reclaimed

SRS_Topscore
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello!

Disclaimer: I have searched previous posts but not found anything that actually helps

I have two installations of BE2012 on SBS 2008 & 2011 servers where both installations show the same problem:
We use 5 USB disks, Monday to Friday, which rotate according to weekday. They are in the same pool and no settings are changed from default. The overwrite protection is set for six days.
Every backup set creates bkf-files and 3 IMG-folders for Sharepoint and Exchange, so far so good. What happens is that next week the bkf-files are overwritten but the folders stay there and the backup fails due to space issues. As expected “Backup Sets” do not show the expired folders only the current ones.
It feels like I miss something but I do not know what, any suggestions? And please don’t tell me to that I can manually delete the old backups, it kind of defeats the purpose.

And while we’re at it, is there a way to avoid the daily “The disk is offline” alerts for every disk in the pool that’s offline?

3 REPLIES 3

Sameer_Kapadia
Level 4
Employee

BE 2012 introduces a new feature called Data Lifecycle Management (DLM) which prevents overwriting of the last backup sets in a recovery chain.

Please see blog for more info on DLM: http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/data-lifecycle-management-be-2012

Also check this technote : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187957 if the backup set is not the last backup set.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

"What happens is that next week the bkf-files are overwritten but the folders stay there and the backup fails due to space issues. As expected “Backup Sets” do not show the expired folders only the current ones."

BE 2012 SP1a reolved many issues including DLM: Deleting backup sets is not immediately deleting the underlying media

You can upgrade to it and see if that helps....

EDIT: Have a llok at Release Notes 

You can download it from here.

SRS_Topscore
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Unfortunatly as expected neither of both suggestions worked, so now I gonna run a script to erase the old IMG folders before the backupjob. You can close this thread.