cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Un-installed Backup Exec remote Agent now Server not responding

Chrisb2011
Level 3

Hi All,

Yesterday I un-installed the backup exec remote agent from our Exchange Server 2003 as I need to install a new remote agent so I can back it up with our new backup Exec 2010 Server.

The un-install whent well and asked me to restart the computer. I restarted and then I expereinced issues with the server.

Once the server came backup the CPU keeps maxing out 100%. Using process explorer I tracked it down to svchost.exe and a particular thread called wbemcore.dll

If i kill this thread then the server is fine again (or at least seems to be) - Why would un-installing the remote agent cause this issue? I need to also put the new 2010 agent on but slightly hesitent at them moment. Would this agent also need a reboot to a Windows 2003 server?

Thanks for anyones help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Its recommended not to use AOFO for any database backups, as you may face issues while

restoring data. AOFO is used for flat file backups only.

Refer to https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/advantages-and-disadvantages-aofo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AmolB

I don't think uninstallation of the remote agent has to do anything with the high CPU usage.

If you install Remote agent with AOFO option then a reboot will be required.

Chrisb2011
Level 3

Yes you might be right, it could be just co-incidence.

Do I need to install the AOFO with Exchange 2003 sevrer. I thought I saw somewhere in a forum that you shouldn't install the aofo with Exchange>?

Is that right?

Thanks

AmolB

Its recommended not to use AOFO for any database backups, as you may face issues while

restoring data. AOFO is used for flat file backups only.

Refer to https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/advantages-and-disadvantages-aofo