cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To find my media in Tape Drive

Boris_Reuven
Level 2
Hello All,
I have Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition SP1, and Backup Exec 10.0 SP5.
I have bought a tape Drive; IBM Ultrium 3, 3580 Tape Drive.
The Backup Exec finds the tape drive but can't find / mount / recognize the media in the tape drive (I've tried the LTO3 medias of IBM and HP).
When I'm uninstalling the Backup Exec and checking the issue with Microsoft NTBackup, the media can be found and all is ok, but when I'm installing the Backup Exec 10.0 again with and without the SP5, I cant find the media in the tape drive again.
I chose the drivers of Backup Exec, but still doesn't help.
I even installed Backup Exec 11.0, but still the same.
I don't know anymore what can I do.
Need Help ASAP.
Thanks Ahead
3 REPLIES 3

PMI
Level 3
Disable windows backup and remove the drive from windows first before starting the BE setup. I had a simillar issue as Windows was conflicing on HP Ultrium. Search the KB it will show you how to disable the drive in winodws. Once installed BE, inventory with the tape inside. that should do the trick.

Boris_Reuven
Level 2
I don't know what do you mean when you say "Disable windows backup...."
How can I disable it if it's not a service or a component?
I have disabled the drive in the Libraries under the Removable Storage, I don't know what else should I disable.
Another thing, what is "KB"?
Please help.

LSM
Not applicable
KB means KnowledgeBase

I had similar issues using BE v10.0 5520 SP4, in that my IBM Ultrium III LTO3 drive would only recognize LTO3 at a capacity of 35GB.

Make sure you install the latest Veritas device drivers, and select "Continue" when prompted to let Veritas control the detected tape drives. Once I did this, Veritas recognized LTO3 media at 373GB