cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Browse to server to perform backups

Dave_DeLollis
Level 3
My BE server is on the 192.168.1.x network.  I have a server on the 192.168.0.x network.  In BE, the server is not listed when I browse to choose files to be backed up.  The server does have the remote agent installed. 

On the BE server, if I browse through My Network Places, the server is not listed.  However, if I browse through My Network Places on the server I want to backup, I CAN see the BE server.

Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like a network configuration problem

On the BackupExec Media Server, what are the network definition settings (ie IP address, net mask, gateway and DNS server)

What are they on the Remote Server?

Dave_DeLollis
Level 3
BE server:  IP: 192.168.1.20
                   SM: 255.255.255.0
                   GW: 192.168.1.1
                   DNS:  192.168.1.2

Server:  IP:  192.168.0.3
            SM:  255.255.255.0
            GW:  192.168.0.1
             DNS: 192.168.1.2

Dave_DeLollis
Level 3
Anyone?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Looks OK

more as a workaround than anything else, since DNS looks right, have you tried putting an entry in the HOSTS file on each machine pointing to the other

Also, in Windows Explorer, can you see anyting on the .1.x  subnet fronm the .0.3  server?

Thomas_D
Not applicable
I'm having the same problem....I want to backup across my network but BE is not ablle to see the server I want to reach.

Similar to Dave's situation, the server I wasnt to reach is also on a different subnet from the server on which BE is installed.

I've tried adding the IP address and machine name to the HOSTS file but I get the same results as before.

When I try to create a new backup job and in "Selections" expand remote selections, Microsoft Windows Network and then My domain name the list of machines does not include the server I want.

I've also tried to push the installation of the remote agent to the server.
After right-clicking Windows Remote Agents, choosing to add remote computer and expanding my domain again I find the list of machines does not include the server I want.

Again I tried right-clicking Windows Remote Agents but this time choosing to add remote computer manually. I then entered my domain name and the machine name, entered the username, password and domain.  I got an error message from Symantec Backup Exec that says,"Attempting to connect to server \\COURTSRV failed with the following error: The RPC server is unavailable.  Please visit Http://support.veritas.com/docs/269175 to view possible reasons why the remote installation cannot continue"

The RPC services are running on both machines.

The site didn't seem to have much that was related to the problem.

In windows explorer the servers on each subnet is able to see able to see the servers on the other subnet.

I'm looking for help with this issue.

Dave_DeLollis
Level 3
Well, at least I am not the only one having theses issues.  It seems like a NetBIOS issue.  But I don't understand why one subnet (in my case, on the same router) can browse and see the computer names in another subnet but not vice versa?

Dave_DeLollis
Level 3
Anyone?

Michael_Landry
Level 3
I'm not a routing expert, but would it have anything to do with access control lists within the router?  Maybe the router is blocking the BE prot traffic. 

I assume you can ping each machine.  Have you tried adding static routes on each of the servers in question?

I use 2 NICs in each server - one for LAN traffic and the other only for backup traffic.  HOST file entries on the backup server, and route entries on the servers to be backed up help with my configuration.  It's not routed, but maybe this will shed some light.....

Dave_DeLollis
Level 3
Routing itself shouldn't be an issue.  The 2 subnets (192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x) are on the same router and traffic flows freely between the 2.  I can access resources as well as shared drives on servers on both subnets...for whatever reason, the BE server on the 1.x subnet cannot see the server on the 0.x subnet