cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Catalog successfully SDLT Tapes

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
Hi everyone!

I am running BEWS 9.1 on a Windows 2000 server. This morning I tried to catalog two SDLT tapes which contain the full backup of March. The catalog process keeps failing with the following error message:

One or more pieces of media in the media family being cataloged has not been inventoried.
No objects on these media may be cataloged

I've run successfully inventoried both tapes and they have been recognised successfully so I cannot understand why it keeps saying that they have not been inventoried.
Unless there is a serious problem with the BEWS database :( About two weeks ago I had to run a repair on the database because backup jobs would not run. From then on my backups have been running well.
Has anyone encountered this problem before. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Pierre
3 REPLIES 3

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
Hi,

Try doing the following steps :

-- Go to Tools | Options | Catalog and Place a check mark on "Use Storage media-based Catalogs"

-- Close Backup Exec GUI and stop all Backup Exec services.

-- Rename Catalog directory to Catalogs.old
(default path C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

-- Restart all Backup Exec services

-- Run a catalog job on the tape.

Do let us know if the above helped you.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.

Pierre_Camiller
Level 4
Your suggesstions did not solve the problem. The cause is probably due to corrupt files on the tapes because when I go under restore and view the contents on the tape I see a red cross on the last file cataloged and when I right click on it and select Properties I am told that it is corrupt.
I cannot understand why such files are being marked as corrupt when the verify would have run 100% successfully. Any further comments/help on this would be much appreciated. In the meantime I had opened a new thread called 'Running a Catalog Job on a set of tapes keeps failing' There is further info there.

Thanks
Pierre

Dean_Estcourt
Level 2
I have the same issue using Backup Exec 9.1 rev 4691. I am trying to restore a backup on a rebuilt server that spans over 2 SDLT tapes (no catalog present). I am having trouble cataloging the tapes.

I have successfully inventoried both tapes and can confirm that they are listed under the media list. I have tried running catalogs with the "Use storage media based catalogs" both ticked and unticked on either tape, neither works. I believe that the setting should be unticked.

I keep getting prompted that "one or more pieces of media in the media family being cataloged has not been inventoried" error 0xa00084fa.

I don't understand how it would tell me this, when it knows that the required media IS present and HAS been inventoried (I can see it listed!). The tape is not write protected (physical tab on tape is off) and overwrite protection (software) has expired.

I can restore backups for single tape sets but not multiple tape sets. I am running out of time to resolve this issue. Any help would be appreciated!