Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach to Mail or Public stores

Joe_Schmeier
Level 3
Hello Experts,

Nightly Backup Jobs fail with error:
Backup - \\SERVER01Unable to attach to \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Unable to attach to \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Unable to attach to \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.
Unable to attach to \\SERVER01\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.

If I select Backup, then MS Exchange Mailboxes or Public Folders I get a choose account dialog saying system account's access denied.

BESA is MS Full Exchange Administrator and member of Exchange Enterprise Servers.

CDO.DLL is present in the c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin, but I don't know how to check if it's registered. There is no other mail client installed.

Config:
Backup Exec
Small Business Server Suite
9.1 Rev 4691

SBS 2003

Backup Exec is installed on the same server as SBS

Thanks for your help!
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please refer the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/277275

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Not applicable
I have a similar error. I don't see how response prior to my post applies to this issue. It appears it's a resolution for a Netbackup issue. The poster's (Joe Schmeier) issue is with BEX and well as my issue is with BEX.

My error is:

When I attempt to create a job and I choose either of the following:
Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.

logon account "administrator" failed to access \\server\Microsoft Exchange access is denied

We've recently installed Exchange 2003 and migrated to the new server. BEX has yet to run a backup. BEX has not moved or migrated.

The BESA is the administrator account which is a member of:
Exchange Services, Enterprise Administrators, Exchange Domain Server. As well as the domain admin account. It should have all rights necessary or needed.

Config:
Backup Exec
9.1 Rev 4691 sp4
Exchange 2003
Server 2003 Ent. R2

BEX is not installed on this machine. Backup agent with the administrator account as the BESA

Joe_Schmeier
Level 3
Sorry for the delay in responding. This does not fix my problem.

Although the article is about netbackup, there is an identical article about BackupExec, so the other poster should try the steps outlined.

I verified the existence of the files mentioned. The article seems to be for exchange 5.5. It says mapi is installed by default in Exchange 2000 and I assume Exchange 2003 which is the version I have.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Have you created a Mailbox associated with the Admin Account?

Have you logged onto the media server as the Admin ID an initialized the Outlook Profile?

Joe_Schmeier
Level 3
That did it, thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Which fix worked for you

(I really hate that this forum doesn't thread replies so you can see which entry a reply refers to.)

Joe_Schmeier
Level 3
Actually, I read the post and checked my config.

I had failed to even create a mailbox for the BESA. Now that I've posted my silly mistake for the whole world to see, I would like to change my name retroactively.