cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach to one of the drives

Pol_Friet
Level 3
a000848c - Unable to attach to one of the drives.
OFO: Snapshot error (0x1): Incorrect function.
Unable to open the item ...

When i restart the server just before the sheduled backup, the above mentioned errors don't occure. So before every backup i have to restart the server to have a successful backup.

someone any ideas,
thx
5 REPLIES 5

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

- What all is being backed up?

- This issue is mostly caused due to DNS related problems
Try to backup the remote server through the user defined selections by IP address.

- Check if the Remote agent service is running under the local system account even on the local system (media server).

-To isolate the cause, de-select Advanced
Open File Option (AOFO) while firing a backup job. Observe for any change
and let us know the results.

-Check out the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255187

During a backup of a system, an "unable to attach to one of the drives" error is reported, although the Remote Agent for Windows Servers was successfully installed.

Hope it helps!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Pol_Friet
Level 3
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Check if the Remote agent service is running under the local system account even on the local system (media server).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
the remote agent service is not running under the local system account

-To isolate the cause, de-select Advanced
Open File Option (AOFO) while firing a backup job. Observe for any change and let us know the results.
I did a backup without the option AOFO, the backup completed successful but with some exceptions on the remote server (the one whit the unable to attach)
some files of the c drive (cpl.cfg,dhcp.mdb+log,tmp.edb and some tmp files)

-Check out the following document:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255187
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked the document but i'm not running an older Remote agent.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When i try to use user selection via ip addresses , it does not take subfolders (\\ip remote server\c$)

thx

Message was edited by:
Pol Friet

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
Are you using user defined shares, or the C$ share in your backup selections?

If you have the remote agent, you should be able to select the server itself under your selections list, and then select C: and the files below it.

Once cause of this error is using a share to backup.

Pol_Friet
Level 3
i am able to select the server itself under your selections list, and then select C: and the files below it. Within these selections are some shared folders.

But i still got the error :"unable to attach to one of the drives" when the server is running for a few days .
When i restart the server just before the sheduled backup everything works.

I now want to use the user selections via ip addresses and the admin shares c$.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Are you also backing up exchange database in the same job?

Remote Agent service should run under local system account on both the servers.

Is the remote server Windows 2003 server?

Additonally edit the hosts file in the Windows system path (for example c:\Windows or c:\Winnt) in \system32\drivers\etc) on both, the Backup Exec server and the remote server and add the IP address and host name of the respective server.

What is the exact error message regarding AOFO in job log?

After the backup check for the _BEVspCacheFile_0.TMP file on the target server's hard disk. This cache file is normally deleted after the backup job finishes successfully.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.