Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup database file: a000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered

Joakim_L_wenadl
Level 3
This was working fine until some days ago,
First I got this error:

WARNING: "\\TRUBADUREN\D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{7D85160B-6F11-4F05-A702-BD414F21A77C}.U01" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt

errorcode for this one: a000fe36

A day after I got this instead:

Error : a000fe36 - Corrupt data encountered - See job log for details.

Job log: Job ended: den 12 juli 2005 at 02:03:52
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000e380 - An error occured during backup. Please check the job log for more information.

WARNING: "\\TRUBADUREN\D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\{7D85160B-6F11-4F05-A702-BD414F21A77C}.U01" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt

I have tried searching the support site about 0x000e380 but am unable to find anything about this.

Should I simply try to restore an earlier version of that file?

any help is appreciated.

/Joakim
9 REPLIES 9

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

This error may occur due to corruption in Backup Exec's "Catalogs" folder. It may also occur if any third party services are running during backup.

As a preliminary step, stop all non essential third party software and Antivirus software services prior to backup on Backup Exec and remote server.
You can further troubleshoot and correct this issue by following steps:

1. Stop all Backup Exec services.

2. Rename the Catalogs folder to Catalogs1 (The default path is "Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT" folder).

3. Create a new Catalogs folder with the original name (Catalogs).

4. Start all Backup Exec services.

5. Launch Backup Exec and check Alerts and the Windows Event Viewer Application log for the error.

Please update us the results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Thanks,

Joakim_L_wenadl
Level 3
Thanks for the help!

I don't have a problem with the files in the Catalog directory anymore but instead I get a more diffused problem.

Job ended: den 14 juli 2005 at 03:06:02
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa000e380 - An error occured during backup. Please check the job log for more information.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

Final error category: Resource Errors

I was thinking the media (tapes) at first but there are at least 4 tapes that has status overwritable so that kinda rules that out.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

best regards,

Joakim

Joakim_L_wenadl
Level 3
Hi again!

Lots of data seems to have been backuped but still I get this error msg. To sum it up we haven't had a backup without errors in 4 days and have around 400 users so it's beginning to be a bit of a pain.

Again any suggestions is appreciated.

best regards,

Joakim

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you backing up Lotus databse?

The error (a00e380 HEX) is generally observed when taking a backup of Lotus Domino Database, and particularly when a Lotus Domino Server is configured as a partitioned server. If more than one of the partition is active, then the Lotus API attempts to backup Domino databases on any of the subsequent partitions and the API call fails to acquire access to the Domino databases. Refer to the document mentioned below for more information:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21094469
This error may also occur if some files are skipped during backup. If you are using a Antivirus software, then stop the Antivirus while backup is running.
=========================================
Have you performed the steps given in our earlier reply to troubleshoot this issue.
Please perform those steps and uncheck the option "Use storage media based catalogs"
and verify the result.

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joakim_L_wenadl
Level 3
Hello again!

I tried the thing with uncheking storage media based catalogs, it didn't change anything so I'll just check that box again. Yes I am backing up a notes server, it's been running smoothly for months though. Anyway I spoke with a someone who've had similiar problems and he just told me that if the problem persists I should just reboot the Notes server so thats gonna be my next move. I will update you again tomorow when I know how it went.

kind regards,

Joakim

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Please update us on the issue ,so that we can continue further troubleshooting

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Thanks.

Joakim_L_wenadl
Level 3
Hello again!

The errorcode: 0xa000e380 it appeared as you said when backup up on of the partitions on the notes server.
Restarting the server did the trick.

Thank you very much for your help.

best regards,

Joakim

Marcel_Martens
Not applicable
Hi,

I've got the same problem.
I also rebooted my notes server last night but when the backup runs after i've got the same problems.

Can you help me with this?
I've used the notes backup agent for 3 years now without problems and now i've got these errors and cannot perform any good backup job.

Thanks in advance

Marcel

Joakim_L_wenadl
Level 3
Hello Macel!

This is what I did for the a000fe36 problem. I will just paste what one of the Symantec technicians told me:

This error may occur due to corruption in Backup Exec's "Catalogs" folder. It may also occur if any third party services are running during backup.

As a preliminary step, stop all non essential third party software and Antivirus software services prior to backup on Backup Exec and remote server.
You can further troubleshoot and correct this issue by following steps:

1. Stop all Backup Exec services.

2. Rename the Catalogs folder to Catalogs1 (The default path is "Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT" folder).

3. Create a new Catalogs folder with the original name (Catalogs).

4. Start all Backup Exec services.

5. Launch Backup Exec and check Alerts and the Windows Event Viewer Application log for the error.

Furthermore I also had this one:

Final error: 0xa000e380 - An error occured during backup

You should not restart the server, instead you should only restart the following service "backup exec remote agent for windows servers".

I realize that this is just what has been said above, but perhaps you missed something. I hope this will help you.

best regards,

Joakim