cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure. This can be caused by low memory or disk resources

SImon_Gray_2
Level 3

Hello there,

We have a SBS2011 64bit Server running Exchange. We are backing up this machine with Backup Exec 2010 R2  The nightly backups fail with the following error(s):

Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : e00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-759

-------------------------------------------------

Backup- \\SERVER5\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 2011031813V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources.

---------------------------------------------------

This happens whether the backup is ran to local disk or tape.  So far I have tried the following actions:

1. Moving the maintenance window for Exchange, so as not to overlap the times the backup is running. There is also no anti virus scan scheduled for this time.  In fact even with AV fully disabled the same problem occurs
  2. Seperating the mail backup into a seperate job
  3. Backing up at various times of day in case the job in conflicting with another process
  4. All updates for Backup Exec and Windows have been installed
  5. Restarting the server

At this point is hould add that the backup will run successfully if brick level backup is not selected, but for obvious reasons this is not a viable long term solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Martin

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Take a look at upgrading to BE 2010 R3...seems like there were a number of isses resolved by it.

You can get it on the link below:

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=91523

Your existing licenses will work with it so no change there. You should then download the remaining patches (I think there are 4 each for either x32/x64).

Thanks!

SImon_Gray_2
Level 3

Thanks, I will download that now and let you know the results

Martin