cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to erase B2D media

James_Allen_2
Level 2
hello all

Since the installation of some updates (Veritas and Microsoft) to our BackupExec 10d install I am now unable to erase backup to disk media that are no longer required.
When I try to do this, the erase job runs and is reported to have run successfuly, but the B2D files on the server remain at their previous size, instead of reducing to a couple of kilobytes.
We are running 10.1 on Windows 2003 (with R2 extensions for files server management) with these updates:
Service Pack 1
Hotfixes 9, 26, 29, 33, 27, 31

I would be very pleased if anyone has a suggestion to try to get this resolved.
5 REPLIES 5

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Have you tried overwriting the .bkf files with an overwrite job ?

Regards
Padmaja

James_Allen_2
Level 2
I have not tried that. I'm not sure I know how (if indeed it is possible) to target a specific B2D files in a backup job - perhaps you could let me know?

For those I know I do not need any more I have just moved them to the Retired Media group then deleted them.

For those I didn't want to delete, I found that running an inventory on them reduced their size on disk (rather bizzarely)

One or two actually got bigger having run an erase job on them.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

run a test backup on the specific B2D and select option "overwrite" in the job properties window .

Instead of erasing or deleting , a overwrite job is a workaround.

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

James_Allen_2
Level 2
thanks for the suggestion.

The B2D in question has two .bkf files in it.
First, I tried to erase one of them ( approx 7MB ) - it grew to 53 MB on completion of the erase job.

Then I ran an overwrite test job backing up just one file to the same B2D. This ran to completion successfully but the .bkf remained the same size (although the used capacity is showing as the size of the file that we backed up.

My concern is that when I erase a file in any B2D, not just the one I describe above, it grows in size. Is there something you can suggest to find out why?

thanks

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you tell us, what options did you select in the Properties of the backup to disk folder und the Configuration tab?

Thank You,

Shweta