cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install SP1 for BackupExec 10.5484

Richard_Watki1
Level 3
I am running an NFR (Not For Resale) version of BackupExec 10.5485 on a Windows 2003 SP1 server. I use a Sony Lib-162 Library with twin drives and I use the Veritas Device Drivers. Windows RSM is disabled.
When I try to install BackupExec 10 SP1 for 10.5484 it bombs out of the installer with the following message: "The wizard was interupted before Veritas BackupExec for Windows servers could be completely installed" and logs the following error to the application log "Product: VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers - Update '{90BBDB2C-A880-425A-B54F-DA7DF734F3D9}' could not be installed. Error code 1603"

I have tried the following:
1) Checked user permissions on the source folder (root of the C: drive of the Backup Server itself).
2) Checked the "System" user has correct permissions
3) Ran a repair installation of BackupExec
4) Removed and reinstalled BackupExec
5) Tried extracting the "bepatch.msp" manually and running it
6) Tried running the install as a silent install

None of this have worked. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
26 REPLIES 26

Richard_Watki1
Level 3
Sorry I've written that I run NFR 10.5485. This is a typo - I run 10.5484.

Devious
Level 2
I'm having the same error as well. I am using BE10 on W2k3 SP1 also. I think it may have to do with SP1 for W2k3,..

Alice_Stewart
Level 5
I have the same issue on a W2k domain controller. I have an identical DC that installed BE just fine. I have rebooted, tried again, same result, so it's not just a W2k3 issue.

Devious
Level 2
The user that the services were using was the same one I was logged in with. I changed the user that the services uses, and it installed just fine. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with it or not, but I am also running the upgrade via remote desktop.

A_A_4
Level 2
Installing remotely is not recommended, try running the install from the actual server itself.

Imran_Raoof_3
Level 2
Hi
Here is the trick which worked for me. When I faced the problem of installing BE SP1 i logged off and login again. make sure you are using the administrator account.

Regards
Imran

Angel_something
Level 3
I Had the smae problem. i could not install SP1. What i did was, configure Backup Exec First and then run the SP1.
and it worked fine!

steve_burkett
Level 4
Am currently having the same issue, for me its because Backup Exec can't update the schema of the Backup Exec database which is housed on a remote SQL server as opposed to MSDE on the local server.

Check the Backup Exec installation log file 'bkupinst.log' in your Windows directory for the reason it failed.

Richard_Watki1
Level 3
I tried again today after rebooting but still no luck. It is not even logging anything to the backupexec install log. I wouldn't bother but for the issue of being able to restore a SP1 Windows 2003 server to a working state without these BackupExec updates!

David_Marten
Level 2
This behavior has been documented when the BEDB resides on a different machine than where the Backup Exec application is installed.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/276637

David_Marten
Level 2
Try to install hot fix 18 as this may help to get SP1 installed.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275903

steve_burkett
Level 4
Richard, are you running your Backup Exec database on a remote SQL box?

If its not logging anything to the Backup Exec Log then it's not the same symptoms as I get, as I do get a log of activity logged, but then a failure.

Incidently, I've been working my way through the various Veritas support levels for several days now and am currently up to the 3rd level support. This for a problem which has a specific Support document on the Veritas knowledge base. Hmmm.... Do they know what the problem is? I actually get this exact same message on a second Backup Exec server using a remote SQL server for its db.

David, I had been advised to install Hotfix 18 by Veritas support, but that too failed with a similar error.

Message was edited by:
HasselhoffiaMessage was edited by:
Hasselhoffia

Richard_Watki1
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not running the DB on a separate SQL box - am just using the local MSDE database.

I tried the suggestion from David to install hotfix 18 but interestingly I got the exact same error as when I tried to install the SP1. I wondered whether it was an issue with windows installer but have successfully installed and uninstalled other software as a test this morning.

I'll keep experimenting.

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following technotes.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/264720.htm

After installing Backup Exec 10.0 for Windows Servers, the Backup Exec Server service fails to start, and Event ID 57802 is logged within the Event Viewer.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/275032

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

steve_burkett
Level 4
Don't quite see how that fits in with what Richards experiencing, but hope it works for you Richard.

For anyone who's suffering the same fate as myself and found this thread via searching the forum, the solution is that you have to add your MS SQL/80/Tools/Binn directory to the media servers path variable as the installer doesn't know where to look to find the osql.exe and bcp.exe files. Seems as though this is correctly set up when initially installing the MSDE database, but not for a remote SQL database.

Richard_Watki1
Level 3
I tried the articles in the post by Chaitanya but no change. I already had the correct settings for the ATL.DLL described in the first document and the second document's suggested modifications to DCOM had no effect even after a server reboot.

Any other thoughts anyone?

John_Cox_3
Level 3
I was having this problem on a W2K3 server with the message "The wizard was interupted before Veritas BackupExec for Windows servers could be completely installed". Nothing was being recorded in the bkupinst.log.

I changed the dcom permissions per document http://support.veritas.com/docs/275032 and it worked!

John_Cox_3
Level 3
What I wanted to add to my previous post was that I gave dcom access permissions to the following (a bit of overkill maybe but it worked so who cares...)

Administrator
Domain Admins
My own account

Previous post

I was having this problem on a W2K3 server with the message "The wizard was interupted before Veritas BackupExec for Windows servers could be completely installed". Nothing was being recorded in the bkupinst.log.

I changed the dcom permissions per document http://support.veritas.com/docs/275032 and it worked!

John_Cox_3
Level 3
This is like a Soap Opera...
so regarding my previous posts, the initial problem I was trying to fix by installing SP1 didn't go away (problems backing up my Domino Server...)

and to make things worse, I went back to try to load Hotfix 7 and 18 (per another user's suggestion for the Domino problem) and whaddya know, these Hotfixes won't install - same error as I started with with installing SP1 Same message... "The wizard was interupted before Veritas BackupExec for Windows servers could be completely installed". No messages in bkupinst.log ... NADA!

I had been using BEX 8.6 for about 4 years with very few problems... I upgraded because we installed a new tape drive that wouldn't run under 8.6 and this is the fourth full day I have spent screwing around with one problem or another...

Will someone take me out back and shoot me... or better still find the programmer and threaten to shoot him (or her)??!!