cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install latest service pack or repair

Lucas_Wilson
Level 2
First off, I know I'm in the wrong section, but I can start a new topic in every section besides 10x, the one I need... go figure.

We're running BackUpExec 10 5022 on Windows Server 2003.

I just arrived on-site and taking over for someone else. I noticed that we have a security vulnerability with BE 10. It is currently running SP2. I am unable to install SP3.

When I attempt to install SP3 for BE 10, I received the following error at towards the end of the installation:

"SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect())."

Well, SQL Server does exist and I'm using a domian account that is a member of the server's administrators group.

I attempted to run a repair on Veritas BackupExec 10. Towards the end of the repair, same error as stated above.

The server was rebooted, same steps taken again with the same results.

We backed-up the BE DB, then removed all instances of SQL server. Reboot. Installed MSDE RelA and SP4. Attempted to run the repair on Veritas once again, same results as previously mentioned.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here with this error? Hopefully there is someone with a much better understanding of Veritas that recognizes this situation. Unfortunately, if this cannot be resolved in the next 24hrs, I'm looking at blowing Veritas away and starting from scratch.

Thanks for the support.
2 REPLIES 2

DanielBickford
Level 6
Employee Certified
Lucas,
I would actually recommend that you go ahead and download the latest version of BE 10 which is 10.1.5629 (this is a free upgrade).
You can download it from here:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279332

and Service Pack 3 for 10.1:
http://support.veritas.com/docs/287295

Unless there is a non-Backup Exec cause of the problem, that should resolve the issue.
Let us know.
Thanks,
Daniel

Lucas_Wilson
Level 2
I gave you points for the correct answer, Daniel. We had actually just went ahead and removed all instances of SQL & BE (saving our configs and DB) and reinstalled by the time I had read this.

I did adhear to your suggestion, however, and downloaded 10d and the SP3. Seems to be running well and now compliant with our network security app.

Thanks for the reply.