Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login in restored VM.

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

Hello,

I just performed the restore of a VM, which was lost.

Now I cannot login with any credentials.

BE 2012 SP3
ESX 4
VM 2003 -member server (terminal).

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If this machine is a domain member and active directory had performed a machine account passowrd reset in the background during the time between when the backup was taken and the time your VM was 'lost' then you will not be able to login as a domain user (slightly dependent on other security settings i.e. allowing cached credentials might let them in still)

In this scenario you should still be able to login as the local administrator and the solution to this issue is then put the machine into a workgroup, reset the machine account in active directory and then add the machine back into the domain.

Please note if this is the issue you are experiencing  that it is not a Backup Exec fault/defect it is just a timing issue  down to the way Active Directory maintains an extra level of security between itself and the domain members

Sinner_xyz
Level 5
Certified

Nope Colin, This is not completely true

Our Domain admin account did not changed over the years.

I am not even able to login with the local admin account.

I have faced same issue in the past with a physical server and BESR and I was able to login after removing the cable and was able to re-add the domain.

So I removed adapter from this VM but this still not.

I am restoring another VM at the moment, if I would face the same issue then its a big mess.

not all applications can survive add\removal of domain.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Ok as you can't login with local admin probably not the machine account issue. As such If you still have this issue when you test wih another system then you shoudl probably log a formal support case with us instedo fusing the forums.

Just to explain however:

I am not talking about your domain admin password which is a user account, a machine account and the machine account password are not something you have control of, Active directory changes them in the background without you knowing and this can result in you restoring something from before the last machine account password change and then having a synchronisation problem. If the machine and the user of a machine do not both have current passwords then you cannot login to the domain using that machine. For more info on active directory machine accounts you may need to look at documentation from Microsoft. This type of problem has the potential to affect all backup products not just Backup Exec.

In the case where you restore a system with an application that cannot accept removal from the domain then you may have to take Active Directory back in time as well however I would strongly recommend involving Microsoft if you hit this type of scenario.