cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to restore / catalog

Barry_Pain
Level 3
I am running Buex 11d Ver 11 Rev 6235 on a windows 2000 box. This used to run version 10 but was completely rebuilt when 11d was loaded (i.e. it was a clean install of both O/S and Buex). I am trying to catalog and then restore some data from various pieces od media that were created under the previous install of Version 10. Some appear to catalog properly with a number of bytes on display etc but some don't, the job completes in seconds with 0 bytes. Irrespective of the appearance of the catalog job I am unable to browse the media (view by media) as it states that "The selected media was not found in the catalogs. You must first catalog the media if you want to use it for restore operations". This happens on every "piece" of media I try to catalog when the physical media is a removable backup to disk folder. I will also try this on tapes.
4 REPLIES 4

Lou_Buffetta
Level 5
Employee
Hi Barry,

Check to make sure you don't have a lot of temporary files in your Catalogs folder. Navigate to the following locations:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs
     C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Catalogs\<ServerName>

Make sure there are no files with the extensions: .TMP; .SM; and .FDD present. If there are more than a dozen files, it could be causing problems.

If the files are there

-- stop all Backup Exec services
    -- delete files with the extensions: .TMP; .SM; and .FDD
    -- restart all Backup Exec services
    -- inventory and catalog all pieces of media associated with that backup job

Barry_Pain
Level 3
All the files in the servername folder were either .fh or .xml files. I tried moving them out of the folder anyway (ith the services stopped) but that has not fixed the issue. I am still not able to catalog and then restore.

Barry_Pain
Level 3
Appologies for "bumping this" in this manner but does anyone have any more ideas or should I try to uninstall and reinstall? I have tried moving the catalog path but I still get the same results. Buex seems to be unable to catalog any  "foriegn" media created in previous versions of BuEx.

David_Henao
Level 2
I am also having this issue i cannot run a simple catalog process since upgrading from 10 to 11d any help from the vendor on this matter?