cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to unlock Magazine with symantec Backup exec 2010

gwensi
Level 3

Hi Guys

I need a help on one of the issue encountered by our client, Everytime we Unlock or even inventory, the status would of the job will be in QUEUE. we even tried to Lock and unclock the media server but still problem exists, need help from anyone. The Library has ni pending or running jobs

Thanks A Lot

Gwen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gwensi
Level 3

CraigV, afffinity, Amol.

Thank you so much, Upgrading to SB R2 solves the issue....

PS

I wonder why this issue wasnt solve by symantec before, I dont think "pause and unpause" the server is an acceptable solution, but anyway, thank you so much! case closed :))

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Under the devices tab, right click on the server name and select "PAUSE" wait for 

30 seconds an then uncheck "PAUSE"

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi ,

Also if your are using BE 2010 then please upgrade to BE 2010 r2 with updates were this issue have been fixed

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Gwen,

New problem or existing problem? If the server is Windows Server 2003, make sure the Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled, and then restart the BE services.

Next thing to check is to see if there are any alerts, and if so, respond to them. You can follow that up with any errors displayed in the Event viewer to make sure it isn't a hardware issue.

I'd also suggest upgrading with the latest available patches, including the latest DDI drivers, and reinstall them in BE using the Device Configuration Wizard.

Once done, post back with the results.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Any update on the issue?

gwensi
Level 3

Hi AmolZeroCool, crai V, Itsmeaffinity.

We did try to pause the server for 30sec and unpause but it did nOT work, next thing that we could possibly do is to apply CraigV and itsmeaffinity suggests. I will send also this link to my client so that he can join the thread while onsite. We will give you updates regarding this issue. thanks

gwen

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for your response  & We will wait for your next update

Keep posted

Thank You

gwensi
Level 3

Hi Itsmeaffinity

Do you have the procedure on how to upgrade to BE2010 r2 without recreating the previously created jobs? Thanks

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

If you are doing upgrade on top of existing version that is like version 11d & above then it is in place upgrade  were all you jobs & everthing would be still there ,but if you want to move your backup exec from one server to other with upgrading it too let me know scenario please

Thank You

CraigV

Hi Gwen,

Upgrading from BE 2010 to BE 2010 R2 is straight-forward and painless.

You're going to get the installation media (*.iso or DVD), and start the installation as you normally would. The wizard will find a previous installation and ask you if you want to create a backup of it...always choose this option. Your license keys you currently use in BE 2010 will work with BE 2010 R2.

However, I have had some issues before...read the article below and it will give you an idea of what I had in my environment. As always, i'd suggest you get a copy of your Data and Catalogs folders manually, and disable your AV just in case.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/what-look-out-when-upgrading-bews-2010my-experience...

gwensi
Level 3

Hi

Isolation done:

1. Run Live Update - Done

2. Updated DDI using device config wizard - Done

3. Restart Services - Done

4. Pause and Unpause server - Done

5. Run Unlock on the device but returned "Queued"

5.1 While on "Queued", we tried to pause the server. The status went to "Server Pause"

5.2 "Unpause" the server, status went back to "Queued"

6. Shutdown the server, removed the SCSI connector and Unlock the Mail Slot of the library using the library's control panel. The Mail Slot successfully unlocked.

7. When we went back to SB 2010 and tried to unlock the, Still the problem did not resolved.

One thing left, Upgrade it to SB2010 R2, hopefully this will solve the problem and will not worsen  the issue. I don't know what should I do next if upgrading will also fail. :(

by the way

Is it possible to resolve it with the registry????

Thanks Guys....

CraigV

...if you don't come right with the upgrade, post back here and I will hit the escalation button for you...

gwensi
Level 3

CraigV, afffinity, Amol.

Thank you so much, Upgrading to SB R2 solves the issue....

PS

I wonder why this issue wasnt solve by symantec before, I dont think "pause and unpause" the server is an acceptable solution, but anyway, thank you so much! case closed :))