cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected provider error VSS Snapshot Errors

nastech
Level 3
I have been getting these errors since a system rebuild last week. Backups worked fine till the failure. (Hard Drive) After the restore to the new drive I get these errors during backup. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\p4330020-server\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .
AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\p4330020-server\System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" . 

15 REPLIES 15

nastech
Level 3
No one? This is driving me crazy!

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Are there any errors in the application/system logs from VSS/Volsnap?

nastech
Level 3
I saw this error in the Application Log.
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details Cannot ask provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5} if volume is supported. [0x8000ffff] [hr = 0x8000ffff].

nastech
Level 3
Bump

ESabo
Level 6
Been working with Symantec now for a couple of months and still not closer to figure out VSS problems.   Same thing nothing in the event logs.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
nastech,

What is the event ID and Source of the error you posted above?

nastech
Level 3
Event ID:12293
Source: VSS

nastech
Level 3
I am patient as the next guy, buy come on Symantec. One post a day is not much help.

ESabo
Level 6
Still working Microsoft on my VSS issue.   I agree Symantec should be more involved in this forum or start an MVP program like Microsoft has in their newsgroups.  

Forums really help any product.    But sometimes companies don't realize it.   

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Please remember this is a user-to-user help support forum. Symantec employees such as myself will post here to help out as much as we can.  If you are need of immediate assistance, please contact Symantec support using the following link.  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp.jsp?pid=15047

Now as for the issue you are having, try re-registering the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service provider.  In order to re-register, type the following command in a command prompt.

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\swprv.dll

nastech
Level 3
It sounds like that more Symantec Employees need to get involved in this Forum. Also the link in the previous message points to a form that at the end of points you straight back to here because there is no longer email support. I also didnt feel the need to call the support line because I dont have time to stay on hold for hours at a time as I have in the past with Symantec over the phone.

E-mail Support and Support Forums
Please note that since January 13, 2005 Symantec Enterprise Technical Support has migrated select support service requests from e-mail support to our moderated Support Forums.

We believe that this will provide a much richer experience, allowing access to the knowledge and experience of other customers as well as our Support staff.

VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 11d (11.0) no longer offers e-mail support. For all electronic support for this product visit our moderated Support Forums.

nastech
Level 3
Hello Symantec! Still needing HELP on this issue if it is not to much to ask.

nastech
Level 3
Still requesting help!!

txtech1997
Level 4
I'm having the same issue as you but with more VSS errors.  I can't find any solutions, at least that work, on this forum and Microsoft has been unable to resolve.  It is a bit ridiculous.

Level 2
I've been looking for a real solution to this too. We've had VSS  errors backing up MSExchange for the last few years. We've gone through BackupExec 10 and now are on Backup Exec 11.  We are now on Exchange 7. Still can not backup up Exchange without rebooting the Exchange server first. We've applied every patch specified by Microsoft. And are sooooo tired of waiting for a Symantec solution that this issue may force us to another backup software. Exchange is critical these days.  Having to reboot to get a backup is rediculous.  I've seen thousands of posts on this issue over the last 2 years.  Wondering what's up with getting a fix for it.