cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unknown error on scheduled backups

technology
Level 2
Hello,

I have read a few posts regarding this error but nothing seems to fit nor correct my issue.  I am getting the following error on any and all of my backup jobs.

"An unknown error occurred on device "HP 1". V-79-57344-34029 - A hardware error occurred."

I have tried quick eraesures, swapped out all the tapes with new ones among others yet I am still faced with this error.  Is there anyoine out there that has dealt with this issue and found a solution?

Thanks,
Chris
10 REPLIES 10

chicojrman
Level 6
What is the make and model of the device to which you backup too? Verify that you have backup exec drivers loaded for the unit in device manager if not BEX drivers locate this tool to install the correct BEX driver: Programfiles\veritas\Backupexec and look for the tapeinst.exe tool and run it.

technology
Level 2

It is an HP Autoloader G2.  There are 2 entries in the Device Manager.  One is the medium changer, using an HP driver, the other in the tape drive, using a Symantec driver.

Thanks,
Chris

What is the make and model of the device to which you backup too? Verify that you have backup exec drivers loaded for the unit in device manager if not BEX drivers locate this tool to install the correct BEX driver: Programfiles\veritas\Backupexec and look for the tapeinst.exe tool and run it.

chicojrman
Level 6

It is an HP Autoloader G2.  There are 2 entries in the Device Manager.  One is the medium changer, using an HP driver, the other in the tape drive, using a Symantec driver.

Thanks,
Chris

I would delete the driver and locate this tool (tapeinst.exe) programfiles\veritas\backupexec\nt reinstall the correct drivers.

technology
Level 2

Thanks,
Chris

I would delete the driver and locate this tool (tapeinst.exe) programfiles\veritas\backupexec\nt reinstall the correct drivers.

Which one should I remove and reinstall or should it be both?

Thanks,
Chris

TankMurdoch
Level 3
Accredited
Look in the services mmc for a service called 'HP WMI Storage providers', disable this and try it again. I had the exact same problem and found it was a confliction between HP drivers and Backup Exec drivers.

ReVeR
Level 4
Also change the driver for the Medium Changer to "Unknown Medium changer" within the device manager.

ReVeR
Level 4
You put that the error ocurrs with schedulled backups...if you run a manual backup it works?

technology
Level 2
I was able to finally pinpoint this error to an actual hardware issue.  After 2 replacements I finally have it working.  Turns out there was a robotic failure with our autoloader.  Thanks for all the info.

Chris

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Those autoloaders have failed on our sites with extreme regularity. 4 so far this year, 8 last year! They're not that great. We've started replacing them with MSL2024s.
Also get hold of HP Library and Tape Tools...useful tool for showing you where you have a hardware failure.

Dan_Wakeman
Level 4
This is how I finally fixed the same error after a lot of effort and failed attempts.

Test your tape drive to be sure it works outside of Backup Exec. I had an HP drive. Go to hp.com/go/tape. Find the link under "value added software" for "Library and Tape Tools", click that link, download the software. L&TT is a free diagnostic tool for HP tape drives and libraries. If it works, the problem is within Backup Exec. (I was using 12.5 with the very latest drivers, literally posted this week).
  1. Disable the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click on it)
  2. Delete the tape drive in Backup Exec (right click again, need to disable first) This must be done in Backup Exec! Doing the same in Windows Device Manager and rebooting did not fix the problem.
  3. Stop all the Backup Exec services (I did this with services manager & confirmed in Windows Services)
  4. Start all the Backup Exec services
  5. Start Backup Exec
  6. The tape drive should be re-detected.

Dan