cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Backup Agent's Requiring Restart

Corey_Wilson
Level 6
We have been running backup agent version 6235 without problem. Since updating 11d with the latest hotfixes through live update some of our server's backup agents are randomly crashing during backups. We want to update all (about 65) backup agents to version 7170.

After installation it wants to restarts our servers. I cannot easily schedule downtime as many are critical. Can I update the remote agent, restart the service and have it function without a reboot, scheduling the reboot the next time we install our windows update patches? The problem is some of these critical servers are the ones with agents crashing during backup and its only started occuring since the latest hotfix installations to the 11d media server.

Thanks
1 REPLY 1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
The only time you should have to reboot the server is if you are using AOFO on those servers.  If you are not using that on all the servers, just cycling the services should be fine.

With that being said, I have seen customers just cycle the services after updating the Remote Agent with AOFO and continue to run backups until they can schedule a reboot.  I will say it is not recommended, but you should be fine.