cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Backup Exec 2010 R3 to SP1

tripoint_online
Level 2

Hello,

I need to update our Backup Exec 2010 R3 to SP1.

I know i can do this simply by running Live Update and applying the downloaded SP1 update.  

I can't do this without writing the RFC (Request for Change) document which details the change i'm making and how to do so (simple next, next finish wizard) but i need to outline recovery steps incase the worst happens.

So i want to know what the roll back procedure is incase something happens and the upgrade fails and Backup Exec stops working?

This is a physical server so can't VM snapshot it.  Is there a way to backup the catalogue etc? Copy data file directories?

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Before proceeding with any upgrades or updates make sure you stop the SQL server BKUPEXEC

service and take a backup of the DATA and CATALOGS folder, these folders are located at 

X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\

With the help of above folders you can rebuilt entire Backup Exec, DATA folder contains BE database

and the CATALOGS folder contains catalogs generated during the backups.

If in case the SP1 upgrade fails it will not affect your backups, BE will continue to work in the same way.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Before proceeding with any upgrades or updates make sure you stop the SQL server BKUPEXEC

service and take a backup of the DATA and CATALOGS folder, these folders are located at 

X:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\

With the help of above folders you can rebuilt entire Backup Exec, DATA folder contains BE database

and the CATALOGS folder contains catalogs generated during the backups.

If in case the SP1 upgrade fails it will not affect your backups, BE will continue to work in the same way.

theOnkar
Level 4
Employee

Live Update should work just fine.

Update the remote agents also.

For the release notes on Service Pack 1 : 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 revision 5204 Service Pack 1 Release notes. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169846

good luck