cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating to latest service pack (server and agents)

Oldskoolskater
Level 3

Hi

New to BE (currently running 2012 rev 1798) and just want to know whether when I update the BE server with the latest updates, do I have to do the agents at the same time or can I update them at a suitable downtime window?

Also if the agents are already installed, does updating to the latest version require a reboot?

Thanks

Oldskoolskater

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

If you update the Backup Exec Server with the latest udpates then you need to push out the updates to the Remote Servers which have Agent for Windows(AWS) installed. You may conitnue running the backups but each time, the job log would state that the AWS needs to be updates. Moreover, all the features integrated in the new update would not apply untill the AWS has been updated. A reboot MAY be required after pushing out the updates to the Remote Server as Backup Exec depends on some third-party applications(like .NET Framework) which when updated requires a reboot. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

It is recommended you reinstall all remote agents as early as convenient.

If you have installed a major update (like: service pack / multiple hotfixes), it may ask for a reboot. However, if you are unable to reboot at that time, you can select Reboot later and reboot at the earliest scheduled downtime window.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Ideally you need to update them immediately to get the benefits of the newer software. If not, BE supports RAWS agents 1 version back (BE 2010 R3 in this case), but you will get exceptions in your jobs until you do so.

Factor in a reboot which may/may not be needed so that you're not scrambing to get unnecessary downtime.

Thanks!

Oldskoolskater
Level 3

Thanks for the speedy reply

Will the backups still work but the jobs complete with an exception stating that the agent is out of date?

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

The backups will still work, but you will not get benefits of the issues fixed/new product support added in new service packs/hotfixes.

You may not get an exception if you have updates service packs or hotfixes. You should get an exceptioon if this is a BE version update (i.e. from BE2010 R3 to BE2012).

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

If you update the Backup Exec Server with the latest udpates then you need to push out the updates to the Remote Servers which have Agent for Windows(AWS) installed. You may conitnue running the backups but each time, the job log would state that the AWS needs to be updates. Moreover, all the features integrated in the new update would not apply untill the AWS has been updated. A reboot MAY be required after pushing out the updates to the Remote Server as Backup Exec depends on some third-party applications(like .NET Framework) which when updated requires a reboot. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...this is what I stated but you got the solution...?

Oldskoolskater
Level 3

New to this forum sorry, is there a way to mark multiple as the solution or should I be marking the first correct/complete as the solution?

Can I change it after the fact?

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You do not need to apologize! We'll get things sorted out. From the next time, you may mark a comment as a solution if you feel that the comment has answered all your queries in the best possible way. 

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Well.. technically I mentioned the same thing before you both..  cheeky

pkh
   VIP    Certified

We'll get things sorted out.

How??  Are you going to the Admins to switch the solution to some earlier comment?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

New to this forum sorry, is there a way to mark multiple as the solution or should I be marking the first correct/complete as the solution?

For comments which are similiar, you should mark the first one as the solution.  This is to discourage copy-cat answers which is a situation we found ourselves in a couple of years ago.

For comments which contribute partially to the solution, you can mark multiple comments as the solution using the procedure in my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-split-your-solution

Can I change it after the fact?

Yes. You can.  Click on the Clear link under the solution marked to clear it and then you can mark some other comment(s) as the solution.