cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Version VS New License 8.6 to 11D

Maxime_Frenette
Level 3
We currently have Backup Exec 8.6 with Open file option. We do the backup of our Exchange 2000 server and also files on 2 others win2k and win2k3 server.

I asked symantec sales dept. about upgrade version and they said that I can upgrade from 8.6.

I just forgot to ask about, how it's done, since I've seen some people said that you uninstall 8.6 before installing 11d. So how does it work ?

I have my Backup Exec 8.0 CD handly, but I can't find where's the last Network administrator put the 8.6 cd. I do have it installed and I known it's a original/licensed copy, but I don't known if it was a "file based" upgrade or "cd".

Now, I would like to known as soon as possible If It's ok to take the upgrade version ? How does it works ?

I known that symantec 11d core upgrade sku # = 11054062
and Symantec 11d core New license sku # =11054136

I need this info ASAP.

regards,
Maxime F.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You cannot upgrade directly from v8.x to v11, but you can go to v10, and then v11

You DO NOT need to uninstall v8.6

The v10d install is here

http://support.veritas.com/docs/279330

Install it in Demo mode (no serials) on top of v8.6, then install v11d on top of that and your local info (schedules, job defs, selection lists etc) should all be migrated forward

Be aware that there have been multiple reports of the v10 -> v11 upgrade trashing selection lists, so have your current install well documented before starting, unless you can recreate things fairly easily.

Maxime_Frenette
Level 3
Can I do a fresh install of 11d without going that way ? I have a few problems with current installation and I really want to do a fresh installation.

My main concern is how upgrade working, do we need to have a older version to install a "upgrade version" ?

I currently have my 8.6 CD handly finally, I just found the software box. It only have a upgrade # and 1 serial number for open option suite.

Now the sale rep on phome with me say that we can't upgrade from 8.6

Each time I call at symantec they give me different version, 1 say I can upgrade, other say I can't upgrade since he don't have any information of my account. But I do have cd handly with serial # and upgrade # we previously bought.

Anyways, it's hard to get right info over the phone with symantec, that's bad, we just want to upgrade and buy new option and I have to make many calls to get a little informations...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What is the OS on the server you want to intall this to?

I'd say that you need to return the v11 upgrade serial and purchase a standard serial. I don't think even the procedure in my first response wouild work if the v10 install is in demo mode

Maxime_Frenette
Level 3
The last sales rep I spoke to said that the upgrade version is the same as the full version except that you need a proof that you have an older version to get the discount associated with "update"