cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade experience from backup exec 12 to backup exec 2010

lark2056
Level 3

Has anyone done a direct upgrade from backup exec 12 to backup exec 2010?

Can you tell me your expereince?  

Does it affect the agents currently running on your clients?

Just looking for some feedback before I pull the trigger and run the upgrade.

Thanks!!

Ken

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CarolineKiel
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ken,
we've already upgraded different BE 11d, 12 and 12.5 systems to BEWS 2010 and did not experience any problems. The only point, that might be tricky, is the upgrade, if you installed SSO and/or CASO.
After upgrading your media server you should also upgrade your agents to 2010 by push install.

If you have any further question, please let me know.

All the best,
Oliver

Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

BrendanMC
Level 3
I didnt upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 on the media server, i built a whole new server.. but I did have to upgrade the remote agents and that went actually very smoothly.

you can leave the old agent installed but it will notify you that the job completed with exceptions. Some of the remote agents were 11.d and some were 12.5..

we as a company are moving to exchange 2010 so the upgrade was needed for that support. When i upgraded the agent on our exchange server I had to restart that remote agent service so it saw the stores correctly. It was finding the stores for 2010 but not 2007.. once i did that I had no issues with it.

I upgraded all the remote agents and restarted the remote agent services and everything is running fine, well except for my file server, but that is another story.

CarolineKiel
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Ken,
we've already upgraded different BE 11d, 12 and 12.5 systems to BEWS 2010 and did not experience any problems. The only point, that might be tricky, is the upgrade, if you installed SSO and/or CASO.
After upgrading your media server you should also upgrade your agents to 2010 by push install.

If you have any further question, please let me know.

All the best,
Oliver

Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

lark2056
Level 3
Thanks for the great replies.

When you upgraded the remote agents, did you just re-push them from the media server?  Or did you have to manually go to the machine to do the agent install?

We have some linux machines running oracle and I do not want to risk their health with a new agent not playing nicely with it. 

But it sounds like the old agents work just fine.

I may keep the old agents around for a while and then upgrade the agents on the clients themselves over the weekend.

Thanks!!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I may keep the old agents around for a while and then upgrade the agents on the clients themselves over the weekend

Symantec supports remote agents one version back-level from the media server "for the purpose of rolling upgrades", so you are perfectly within the licensing scheme to do this.  You do however need run long-term production with agents at the same level as the media server

With that in mind, I'm not sure whether a 2010 media server will talk to a v12.0 remote agent, but it's certainly worth a try

Barry_Greenaw1
Level 3
I went from 12.5 to 2010 with no issues at all. I pushed the upgraded Remote Agents out from the media server and it all went smoothly. 2010 seems quite stable and I will be upgrading another server this weekend. Keen to see if the BERetrieve issue with CPS has finally been resolved.