cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 10.0 to 10D now backups slow

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
Upgrade from 10.0 to 10D now backups slow. 10D are about half the speed of 10.0. Both the local server (media server) and remote servers. Upgraded agents and AOFO. Installed the latest tape driver. I have checked all the normal tech documents. No other changes were made. Uninstalled 10d and agents and re installed 10.0 and backups are back to normal.
29 REPLIES 29

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-what data is being backedup ?
-Normal File Server or databases like exchange ? SQL?
-Is Anti-virus running on both the server ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
The local file server is a normal file server with file storage. The remotes are SQL and exchange and a normal file server. We run Symantic Corp editon 10 anti virus. Backup ran last night with ver 10.0 in half the time 10.d ran.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems the backup speed was slow with 10d. In fact this version includes several improvements from the previous version i.e 10.0. You had mentioned that you had also upgraded to the latest drivers. What is the device that you use for backups? Had you checked its compatibility with Backup exec 10d?

Had you installed the latest drivers from the following link: http://support.veritas.com/docs/281696

Revert if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
The tape drive is an IBM Ultrium TD1 LTO which is on the list. Yes I downloaded and installed the latest Veritas drivers and also used the veritas driver that was with 10d and tried the Windows driver and IBMs driver all had the same rsults.

Kenneth_Westby
Level 2
Dean,
I too have the same issue with 10d. By looking at the responce you have been getting here, combined with the lack of responce to my post (which is the same issue) and the lack of progress with phone support, I really don't think we will ever get a straight answer from Symantec. I think I am going to follow your lead and reinstall ver 10.
Kenneth Westby

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
I figure 10.0 worked good for me so I will stick with that till 10.2 or a service pack comes out. Just thought it would be nice to hear a straight answer from Symantec that yes this is an issue. I wasted enough time trying to pinpoint as to why. Seems to be a lot of people with the same issue. You will have to uninstall your remote clients and reinstall 10.0 remote clients.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

There is no known issue regarding slow backups and 10.1 but as mentioned by you, you can try reinstalling remote agents with the help of the technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/265736

Also please see the reasons why slow backup may happen:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
I have done all this before.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

-have you tried seperate backups ? remote and local and seperate backups for databases ?

-are you using Advanced Open File Option ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
Yes I have tested a seperate local backup as well as a seperate remote server backup and seperate SQL backup. All job rates on the job history are about 1/2 the speed as 10.0. Yes I am using AOFO on both versions. I have turned verify off on both versions.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Dean,

Can you try a Backup without the AOFO Option as a test.

Also try a NTbackup and see what is the Throughput you get.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Once again, problems reported on the Forum are not acknowledged as being problems

Many remember the v9.1 SP4 debacle. It took Veritas/Symantec almost three weeks to admit that the installer was broken

There are multiple posts here that the upgrade from v10 to v10d resulted in excessive slowness in THE SAME JOBS.

In this thread, several people have said that reverting to 10.0 got speeds back to what they were before, yet the last response from a Syamatec Tech requests the user to test speeds with NTBackup

COME ON, SYMANTEC, there IS a problem with decreased throughput after a v10 -> v10d upgrade. it is not a universal problem but it is a problem

(And I'l report once again, for all the good that it will do, that both "Veritas" and "Symantec" trigger the spell checker as not valid!)

Dean_Bouta
Level 3
I should have mentioned that yes I tested it with the AOFO off and again the through put was about 1/2. I also did a backup with NT and speeds were more than twice as fast. Even better than 10.0.

Natalie_Caciopp
Level 3
I just posted a message on these boards yesterday regarding this exact same issue.

I did my upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 last week and instantly I had lower throughput rates for all my jobs. Nothing else has changed on my network, I literally did the upgrade on Monday afternoon and when my backup jobs ran that evening...I have had significantly lower throughput rates ever since. :(

I am hoping I get some answers on my thread because I really don't want to revert back to 10.0.

Anyway, I will be placing a support call about this to Symantec soon and I will keep you all posted on what comes out of it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
About the only thing that I have not seen mentioned here -

From the devices tab, right click the tape drive\Properties

What are the settings (in v10d) for block size, buffer size number of buffers and write through?

Natalie_Caciopp
Level 3
Ken,

I actually called Symantec about the tape drive settings for 10d and they told me to not change the default settings on my tape drives (they verified my settings too). Here is what I have set:

block size: 64K
buffer size: 64K
buffer count: 10
high water count: 0
read single block mode: not checked
write single block mode: checked
read scsi pass-through mode: not checked
write scsi pass-through mode: checked

Natalie

mark_green
Level 3
I have had the same issues also,, low compression rates and slow backups.
with 10d.

my backup went to 40 tapes from the normal 19 to 21.

I have uninstalled 10d and gone back to 10.5520.

VERITAS there is an issue.. you need to sort this out.

Natalie_Caciopp
Level 3
I just went back to version 10.0 and now my throughput rates are back to normal (fast).

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I'd uncheck the Write Single Block, and set the buffer size to 128K