cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from 9.1 to 10d on different OS and different servers

Michael_Underwo
Level 3
I am planning to upgrade from 9.1 to 10d. I will be installing 10d on a new server and a new operating system.

The 9.1 server is Windows 2000 and the 10d server will be Windows 2003.

My question is:

Is it possible to migrate any of the catalogs, media sets, selection lists, job history etc to the new server?
10 REPLIES 10

John_Bielot
Level 3
Hi,

Check out kb article 263927. It might offer you some help.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263927

John

Michael_Underwo
Level 3
Thank you for the link. This article was helpful, although it appears it is describing how to upgrade from 8.x to 9 or 10, rather than migrating from 9 to 10. Does anyone know of a way to migrate from 9 to 10 on a new server with a different name?

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Michael,

In this case you have to upgrade Windows OS from 2000 to 2003 , then perform upgrade of BE v.9.1 to 10.d and then you can migrate from 9 to 10 on your new win2k3 machine .

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Michael_Underwo
Level 3
Thank you for your reply.

Is there a document that describes how I would go about this step by step?

Thank you...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Upgrade to v10 on the old server.

Run BEUTIL and "save configuration to a file"

shut down BackupExec and run a special backup of the entire install folder including the \Data and \Catalog directories. If you have the \Catalogs dir on another drive, grab that also Be sure to grab the config file also

set up your new server

Copy the saved install to the new server

Install v10

Run BEUTIL and Recover Config from a file

Remove Backup Exec from the old server You are technically in violation of the Licenseing Policy while it is installed on two machines, if you only have one serial, but it's the only way to migrate to a different server and OS.

Michael_Underwo
Level 3
Thank you all for your replies.

One final question:

We would like to leave our old server intact as it was without having to upgrade the OS and BE version.

Can 9.1 be installed on the new server (Win2K3), the settings from our existing 9.1 installation migrated over to the new server, then upgrade the new server to 10d?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Only if you build out the new server as the same OS as the old media server. No Apps and just enough networking to get on the network. Then install v9.1, upgrade the OS, then upgrade to v10

See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/260054.htm Note the "Do Not Use IF" near the top of the DOC

Michael_Underwo
Level 3
Thank you again...

It sounds like I will install Windows 2000 and 9.1 on my new server, move the config, then upgrade the OS, then upgrade BackupExec.

Just curious...why can't the software be migrated to a server with a different OS? Is the operating system stored somewhere in the BE database? Or...?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Don't have a clue, but I'd guess it has to possible differences in the structure of the Registry.

It might work on a vanilla system, but it if doesn't, Veritas has themselves covered and can say "Don't come crying to us. We told you not to do it that way."

If you have the time, you might try just moving to W2K3, just to see if it will work :)

Michael_Underwo
Level 3
Thank you for all your help.