cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded SBE 2010 to R3, now getting remote agent errors

IkarianPC
Level 2

Hi,

I recently upgraded our SPE 2010 to R3.  This weekend, when running our full backups, all of the servers returned the following error:

"The remote computer is running a previous version of the Backup Exec Remote Agent. You must upgrade ..."

I'm wondering what the best course of action is (please understand I am fairly new to SBE).  LiveUpdate is not showing any new updates for the Remote Agent, so I'm assuming I need to upgrade to a completely new version?  If I simply run a remote install from the backup server, will it automatically know to run it as an upgrade, and keep all the current config files, etc.?  Or will there then be a second version of RA causing issues?  Thanks in advance for your help.

-R

5 REPLIES 5

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Push the remote agent from media server to all the remote servers. It is always good to update the remote agent also after upgrading the media server. 

Regards....

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Compare beremote.exe version of media server with the client servers

IkarianPC
Level 2

OK, I see, after starting the process that the media server sees that these are upgrades, not fresh installs.  This is good!

I am ready to proceed with upgrading the RAs.  However, before I continue, I need to know if the upgrade will require a reboot, and if it will occur automatically!  These are production servers, and an unscheduled reboot could be a major problem.  Please let me know.  Thanks!

-R

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No reboot required unless you have some windows 2000 servers. Even if any reboot requires, BE will prompt you to do it, you can choose to do it later.

Regards...

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

It is advisable to reboot the server if downtime can be arranged. We do encountered VSS snapshot error on Windows 2008 after we upgrade to R3... Not happen to all Windows 2008 anyway.