cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded from 11d->12.5 now seeing recurring errors: V-280-2003 and others

Selltekk
Level 3

I upgraded BUE from 11d->12.5 monday and last night ran a backup and the job failed. 

I spoke to support before the upgrade to verify that the MSDE would be upgraded from 200 SP3a to 2005 during the BUE 12.5 upgrade and they said it would. I'm not sure it happened though...

Anyway, the failed backup job last night looks to have been somewhat successful in that the byte count looks correct, but I have the following errors:

At the top of the Job log:

Error category    : Job Errors
Error             : e0008445 - The media operation was terminated by the user.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33861

I checked that link, then went into the job setup and none of those options to kill the job after a specific amount of time or auto cancel are selected.

Next,  under each server's verification log in the job I see this:

Set type               : Verify
Set status             : Completed
Set description        :

Resource name          : \\servername\W:
Logon account          : System Logon Account

Error                  : e0000602 - A query for media on which the data set being read is continued was unsuccessful. Ensure that all media in the family have been inventoried and cataloged.

Every verify log in the job log has this error.  However, in the media section of BUE, allof my media is in the correct media set.  I am running a catalog job now, but it's going to take a while.

Also, in my alerts tab, I have this error recurring:

ODBC access error. Possible lost connection to database or unsuccessful access to catalog index in the database.  V-280-2003

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/knowledge_base_sli.jsp?umi=/umi/V-280-2003&doctype=umi

Also, my backup set from last night is not visible when I start to create a restore job.  Will a catalog job (running now) fix this issue?

4 REPLIES 4

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6
I read those tech articles and one mentioned loss of network connection. That leads me to believe that you might be using remote agents? If this is so, did you upgrade the remote agents and reboot the remote servers?

Selltekk
Level 3

I upgraded the remote agents on all of my servers.  Only 2 older servers required a reboot.  I ran the batch upgrade utility with the "allow automatic reboot" option on three of my servers that it was ok to reboot during the day, and they did not reboot.

The rest of the servers I ran with the auto reboot option unselected, and only 2 of them returned the "Needs reboot" message.

Like I said, in the job log, the byte counts are correct, however the sets from last night's backup are not available in the restore wizard. 

Kevin_Cotreau
Level 6

I have always rebooted all the servers and I strongly suggest that you do the same. I have a strong sense that this alone will solve your problem.

This is just my anecdotal experience, but I have remote servers that will occasionally fail a backup job due to networking, and even if I just restart the BE Remote Service that is not enough, but rebooting the whole server fixes it. In other words, it may not be just the BE Remote Agent service, but how it is interacting with Windows networking somehow. Rebooting fixes that interaction.

I would not spend a lot of time troubleshooting this until you simply reboot the rest of the servers.

austinringding
Level 2

hello Selltekk:

I am having the exact same problem that you had  in this thread. 

Can you tell me if you ever resolved your problem here?  If so, what did it take to resolve the issue?