cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from BE 2010 R3 to BE 2012

jlax1124
Level 3

I am trying to upgrade in place from BE 2010R3 to BE 2012. I have received my upgrade notification, and entered all the .slf files, but when I run the upgrade it is telling me "Deduplication Option is no longer licensed in this upgrade. You may not remove this license during the upgrade. To continue, either add a serial number for Deduplication Option, upgrade as a trial, or remove the option in the previous version, then continue the upgrade"

Well, I can't find any reference to deduplication in my 2010 environment, it doesn't seem to allow a trial, and I can't see how to remove the option from my previous version - as it doesn't reference it anywhere.

Surely Symantec hasn't thrown in an obligatory cost to the upgrade that we've been paying support for?

Any suggestions how to move me forward?

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

VJware
Level 6

Place a check mark next to the Dedupe option to make it a trialware & complete with the license install....once it completes, uncheck this option..

Also, can try this if above doesn't work

from C\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Licenses, copy the .slf files to another safe location & then delete the .slf file..

Run the upgrade to BE 2012 & do not enter the licenses during the upgrade process & uncheck the dedupe option...once upgrade completes, add the licenses

jlax1124
Level 3

I don't see anywhere that I have the option to do anything with the Dedupe option. I'm at the screen where I have entered all the slf's - when I hit next is when the error message comes up, so I'm guessing is this something to do with default install versus custom install?

VJware
Level 6

Do not enter the .slf files....proceed next...select the agents/options for which you have licenses...let the install complete..

Post this, copy the .slf files from the above mentioned location, stop the BE services, delete the .slf files & restart all BE services...

Open the license install wizard & re-add all the licenses again..

nchan
Level 0

I find it very discouraging that for returning or continuing customers, customers have to jump through hoops to remove a function that is being monotized. I understand the reasoning to monotize (don't agree with it), but if that is going to be the case, make the upgrade function a lot better. Instead of showing a dialog box that does not allow the user to proceed, find a way to uncheck the box for dedupe. Instead I have to upgrade to trial, remove dedupe, then install licensing.

My 2010 R3 install was funny in that I went to Change the current install, but dedupe was not checked.

Beyond my rant, thank you for the posts above. Helped get 2012 installed.

ex5o5er
Level 4

I am having the same problem here.  There is no place to "Place a check mark next to the Dedupe option to make it a trialware & complete with the license install....once it completes, uncheck this option.." - as stated above.

Furthermore, this folder does not exist on my server: "from C\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Licenses, copy the .slf file..." - as stated above.

I cannot remove tthe licences in the wizard because they are already registered - all I can remove are the maintenance licenses.

What to do next?  Is there a registery key that can be changed?