cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User rights needed for getting service status

drhex2000
Level 2

Hi,

I have a problem displaying/querying the service status of my media server with my normal user from a remote PC. The login screen shows services not running, icon in the lower bar of the admin console shows a question mark, opening the Services Manager gives me access denied.

Adding my user to the admin group on the media server gets it to work, running the app as domain admin as well - I would much rather just give the rights needed to my user on the media server for obvious reasons. Can anybody point me into the right direction here?

TiA,

Florian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

drhex2000
Level 2

Thanks for your help! I have resolved it now by doing a

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:xxx\administrator /savecred "D:\Programme\Applications\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkupLnch.exe"

which does the trick nicely - albeit at the expense of having to change this on every update as the desktop icon gets overwritten :-).

Thanks again!

Florian

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is no delegation of authority in BE.  Whether you are using the console on the media server or a remote console, you need to to have the full authority to execute a backup, usually this means that you need to sign in as a domain admin.  You cannot use an ordinary id and hope to get BE to work.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you want to give someone else access to check the minimum in BE, you can read up on the article below. I have used it to give our site reps access to check backups etc...they are unable to delete jobs/create them.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

drhex2000
Level 2

Thanks for your help! I have resolved it now by doing a

C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:xxx\administrator /savecred "D:\Programme\Applications\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkupLnch.exe"

which does the trick nicely - albeit at the expense of having to change this on every update as the desktop icon gets overwritten :-).

Thanks again!

Florian

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If Craig's response solved your problem, please mark it as the "Solution"