cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Policy's

Joe_Callus
Level 3

Backup Exec 12.5 on SBS Server, Exchngae, SQL 2005 and Share Point. I have 2 Removable 1 TB Hard Disks, full backups are aproximately 150 GB in size.

Currently I have seperate Full backup 1 x week with 6 incrementals for my Boot Partition and my Data Drive , then the disk is changed and a new full backup is started with 6 incrementals. I am not using policy's.

Is this the best way to use my resources or is it possible to have multiple full backups on the removeable HD's using Policy's? It would be nice to have several full backups to revert to instead of being able to go back just 1 week.

Please advise.

Thank you!

joe callus

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Set all your jobs as Overwrite (not Append)

If you want to maximize usage of your external disk, from Tools/options/Media Management  select the option to "use scratch media before overwriteable medai in the target media set"

Set the OPP to what ever meets your business needs (looks like 8 weeks should probably do it, if you can get 4 weeks of full/incr on each disk )

This should completly fill your external drives before overwriteing any data on them

Joe_Callus
Level 3

Thank you Ken, I think I understand. I will cretae a Policy with your suggestions along with GFS, Synthetic and True Image restore features and place the current backup jobs I have on hold.

I am not familiar with this process so it will take me a day of so to get in there and complete it.

I'll update you when I have completed if you don't mind.

Thanks!

joe...

Joe_Callus
Level 3

I have everything configured Ken. I used Polices to run daily and weekly backups with the settings you recommended.

I think everything is good, but apprehensive that I may not have all settings for Media and Backup to disk folders set correctly.

Hopefully I don;t find out the hard way.

Thank you for your assistance

joe..

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Good

if after a couple of runs, you think that things are set properly, please comeback and mark this thread solved