cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using RALUS to backup Open Enterprise Server - Differential backups

jlcCDH
Level 3

Running OES2 on SLES10SP2.  Backup Exec 2010 R2.

I have the TSA running in the OES environment.  I have installed the RALUS agent and I can access [ROOT] and back it up.

The data is in an NSS volume which resides at /media/nss/DATA.  Full backups run well enough, no issues detected.

Differential backups, though, are the same size as the full backup.  It appears that the RALUS isn't resetting the Archive bit in the FULL backup job.

Is there a setting I need to change? How do you effect a differential backup using RALUS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Archive Bit only applies to Windows machines.

Change your job properties to "Modified Time" instead

See http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH39335&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Archive Bit only applies to Windows machines.

Change your job properties to "Modified Time" instead

See http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH39335&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

jlcCDH
Level 3

Thanks, first for the quick reply.

A different flavor of the same question, posed thanks to your link: the "Preserve change time" option doesn't clearly state whether it should be on or off to enable differential backups.  It's not even clear if it has any impact whatsoever, can I get a clarifcation on this one too?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

A different flavor of the same question, posed thanks to your link: the "Preserve change time" option doesn't clearly state whether it should be on or off to enable differential backups.  It's not even clear if it has any impact whatsoever, can I get a clarifcation on this one too?

This really should be a new thread, but

I've never had to play with LINUX, so have not had to worry about Modified Time, but ...

I would think that for a DIFF, you would NOT want BackupExec to alter the properties of the file so "NO" to that option, while for INCR, you WOULD want the properties updated, so "YES" to the option