cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using removable drives causes new .bkf files to be created

Rusty_Jones
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 10d running on 2003 server. I have 2 removable hard drives. I setup both drives as removable in the devices. I setup a backup job to use all devices so it will backup on whichever drive is connected. The first backup on each drive asked for a overwritable media, which I clicked ok to and the backup ran. After this the backup wont overwrite the existing file, it keeps creating new ones when I switch the drives. It will overwrite the existing .bkf file if I dont switch the drives. On drive 1 I have b2d00001, the next backup will overwrite this file if i dont switch the drive. I insert disk 2 and it created b2d00002 and will overwrite this file on the next backup as long as disk 2 is in. If I now put disk 1 back in, it creates a file called b2d00003 and wont overwrite b2d00001. If I delete b2d00001 the backup job will keeping asking for a overwritable media until I put b2d00001 back, then it creates a new file. If I swtich back to disk 2 I get b2d00004 and it continues to count up as I switch the drives. What I want to do with these drives it to do a full backup each day, and switch them so that I use the same drive every other day. Or possibly get 5 drives to have one for each day of the week and have Backup Exec overwrite the existing file when I run the backup.
3 REPLIES 3

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Rusty

Have you tried changing the properties of you rb2d folder such that there are more backup sets written to the same bkf. I would suggest you to try out changing the settings under the advanced tab of the properties of your rb2d folder.

Hope it helps..

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Rusty_Jones
Level 2
I have it set to 100 (the default)and the file size to 1 gig (the default). And I am only backing up the system state which is 800meg. So should that be just 1 backup set?

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

- Yes a file of 800 mg will create 1 backup file with the default setting of 1gb.

- When you wish to overwrite the disk, and it doesn't means that it is overwrite protected, one option is to check the media set to which it belongs and change the OPP. The second option is to run a short erase operation before the backup job to ensure that the disk is overwritable. Since you wish to overwrite the tape, ersaing it shouldn't be a problem right?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.