cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

Pemil
Level 3

Dear experts,

I backup my Windows infrastruture with BE 2012 Ver 14.0 1798 on a Windows Server 2008 R264-bit as Media server 

every time when I select the "System State" with my backup selection the job fails with following error messge.

"Storage device "StoreOnce" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

0x17
V-79-57344-34028 - A backup storage read/write error has occurred."

when I take the "system state" out of the backup selection the job runs with out any complications. 

But for DR I need to backup the "system state" every windows 2008 machines.

Please healp !

Regards from Vienna 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry, this shouldn't have happened. I'll push the case forward from my end.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...is Advanced Open File Option selected for the job? If not, turn it on and try again.

Thanks!

Pemil
Level 3

Hi Craig !

I tried both way (with and without AOFO). But unfortunately no success.

Regards

CraigV

...check the TN below and see if this is relevant to you:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130478

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check that the disk that you are backing up to does not use 4k sector sizes. If it does, you need to reformat it to 512e sector size before you can backup the system state to it

Pemil
Level 3

... the backup senario is as folloes;

non dedub / disk-based backup / the job is for the media server itself /

purpose of the job is to be ready for the DR  of BE Media Server.

Unfortunately the TN above does not help to resolve the partcular issue.

Thanks

CraigV

...have you tried to recreate the job? Is there an antivirus installed, and is it not possibly blocking access to the System State?

Pemil
Level 3

... yes I've recreated the job and no Antivirus installed. Strangely enough it's not on every media server though them all have the same configuration on the same OS. The error arise out of the blue and the BE is no more capable of System State backup. Recreation of the job on B2D or B2T gives me the same error message. This is really a desaster !

[Backup- \\wlv23srv02.wlvnet.die-wildbach.at\System?StateSpeichergerät "Store_WLV23SRV02:2" hat bei folgender Anforderung einen Fehler gemeldet: Schreiben von Daten auf Medium.

Fehler:

0x17
V-79-57344-34028 - Im Backup-Speicher ist ein Lese-/Schreibfehler aufgetreten.]

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you check your disk like I told you to earlier? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/v-79-57344-34028-backup-storage-readwrite-error-has-occurred#comment-10903451

VJware
Level 6

Does a native Windows backup of System State complete successfully ?

Does a BE backup of System State (without GRT) complete successfully ?

Pemil
Level 3

@ pkh;  The LUNs are presented through dedicated HP StoreOnce storages for each BE Media-Server. And they are not using 4k sector sizes. 
The System State backups were always 
successful untill this errorr started to apear.

@ VJware; Everey System State Backup Jobs is nateive to each server as each srever has it's own BE isntallation.
I do not get this error with Exchange or Share point backups where the jobs are configured with GRT. 

Its only on natvie Windows backups which inclueds the System State (for DR of course).

where do I activate or deactivate GRT option on a backup job when only system state and the system Drive are selected.? I just cant find it.

Pemil
Level 3

So I guess everybody is at the end of their Latin !

VJware
Level 6

By native backup, I meant using the Windows Backup feature. Does the system state backup complete if you run a backup via Windows Backup and not BE ?

Secondly, if you edit the backup job, do you see a listing for Active Directory on the left pane ? If yes, highlight it and there would be an option to disable GRT on the right side.

Pemil
Level 3

Yess... native Windows backup completes the system state image without any hassle. It is just the BE which cannot perform a VSS backup from the exact same system. 

VJware
Level 6

If the native backup to the same storage device completes successfully, then would recommend to log a formal support case for us to debug as to why the failure occurs via BE.

Pemil
Level 3

The Symantec support case is already open with the case number 08170859    [ ref:_00D30jPy._50050a0ILZ:ref ]

One Mr. Jakub Dymek from the symantec helpdesk  wrote me on 23.02.2015 he's also reading this thread. But that was all !

VJware
Level 6

Sorry, this shouldn't have happened. I'll push the case forward from my end.

Pemil
Level 3

Thank you very much VJware !