cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-1011 The system is out of memory.

vincent28
Level 2

I am getting this error message maybe once a week when backing up Exchange 2003 with Backup Exec 2012. When this happen, backup for Exchange 2003 will fail. A quickaround way for this is to reboot the Exchange server. It will then run good for a week or so, and it will happen again.

We have been running backup for about a year now and this error message came up all of a sudden without any new upgrades or patches to BE2012 (SP2, Hotfix 209149). 

Any idea on how to fix this? 

Thanks in advanced!

4 REPLIES 4

lmosla
Level 6

try running Live Updates until you are fully patched and then dont forget to repush the agent to the remote servers

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Try creating these keys ~

1. Add the following registry key on the Exchange server(s):

Key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VirtFile
Value: VFF Extended Timeout
Type: DWORD
Set value (Decimal) to 600.
Restart all the Backup Exec Services for the changes to take effect.

2. Add the following registry key on the Exchange server if backup is running to tape. If running to disk, add the following registry key on the Backup Exec server :

Value: Detach Timeout
Set value (Decimal) to 10000

If it still fails, would recommend to log a formal support case. This is a pretty generic error and debugging can help us further.

vincent28
Level 2

Hi VJware,

Thanks for your input. However, I am a little confused.

For # 1, add to Exchange Server - okay, got it.

For #2 above, do I add this registry key to the Exchange server if I am backing up to tape? We are only backing up to tapes, so the key below should be added to the Exchange server, correct? Just want to make sure I am getting this correctly.

Value: Detach Timeout
Set value (Decimal) to 10000

I just restarted the Exchange server early this morning and I would imagine Backup will run successfully for the next week or so before it fail again with the same error message. I won't be able to test these fix until then. I will keep everyone updated. 

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes. the second key is on the Exchange server as the backups are to tape.