cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VHD restore from tape

stoolzo
Level 2

Hi, i'm trying to restore some data from a non GRT tape backup.

I have a hardware server which i'lll call the PS, and then 3 virtual server running on that in Hyper-v. a RODC, a CS  and a TS. I want tio restore a few files and folders from a previous backup to the CS server, however the only backup available is a non GRT full image backup.

The plan is to bring off one of the D drive partition VHD, mount them on another server and then extract the data back to the original server.

I've setup a job to restore the VHD, I set it to redirect to a folder and the restore starts fine, however it turns of the CS server every time and I cant find out why, this server is live and in use so I cant drop it even for a few minutes.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Try duplicating the information to disk instead. This will leave you with the flat files.

Thanks!

stoolzo
Level 2

thanks, but unfortunately the backup sets are encryoted, they have to be restored though backup exec, there are no flats files to copy off the tape.

CraigV

Duplicating to disk is manually done through Backup Exec...

...if this is still not able to be performed, then you're left with the intended behaviour and there would be no way around it unless you can restore to another Hyper-V cluster.

Thanks!

stoolzo
Level 2

I'm restoring the server to another lcoation, why is it shutting the live server down, makes no sense. I could understand it if I was restoring to the same location / over the top of it.

CraigV

Read below and see if this helps:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000075996

Thanks!

stoolzo
Level 2

i'd already read it but thanks, nothing in there about preventing the server closing down.