cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMware backup job pauses

willjasen
Level 2

We are running Backup Exec 2012 on a Windows Server 2008 connecting to a cluster of two VMware ESXi's and backing up to tape.  Until recently, I've not had much problem running VMware jobs, but since the recent upgrade I performed from 2010 to 2012, the VMware backup job seems to pause.  There's no error reported and the job continues indefinitely.  It's only until I kill all of the job services before I'm able to run another job, or restart the server.  One of the wrenches is that it doesn't happen all the time.  I've watched it closely before and I've seen where it does complete and times where it does not and hangs.  I've recreated new jobs multiple times and still the problem is off and on.  Our file and email backups to tape are working fine, spare when the VMware job is locked up holding the tape drive hostage.  I've applied all the updates; all of our remote agents are up-to-date.

Anyone have any ideas on what to try next?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

willjasen
Level 2

After working more with Symantec support, the problem has been resolved.

A hotfix was installed:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180964

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

I presume Backup exec 2012 is fully patched with 2012 sp1a & 2 updates after it which include DDI release.

If not please install those updates using live update & update remote agent to see if that helps.

In mean while have you verfied this pause is happening only for GRT backup of vmware or for all the jobs intermittently. When the job is in paused state , have you verified tape drive is accessible & backup exec is communicating with it too

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you have enough disk space, you should try redirecting the backup to a B2D to see if you can recreate this issue.

Does it perhaps happen on specific days, and if so, are you aware of any maintenance tasks that happen on specific servers?

Thanks!

willjasen
Level 2

This problem happens most days, though not all.  I haven't determined why it might complete at times and why it does not others.

I do not have enough disk space to try a B2D job, but I'm not having problems with the tape drive with the other jobs.  The technician I have been working with thought it might be that there was no more available space on the tapes, however, there appears to be plenty of space available and I've received no alert regarding this.

The backup job does not conflict with any other maintenance tasks.  We run full backups nightly and they usually complete within 12 hours.

One thing that is noticeable is that it always hangs on one particular server and on one particular file within the server, but I don't think it's the problem with the server VM itself.  The previous job I had running before recreating hung on a different server and different file.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...matter of interest, put in an exclusion for that file and see what happens.

Is AOFO turned on for your job? If the file isn't really required, and the backup completes successfully, then leave the exclusion in place.

Thanks!

willjasen
Level 2

I'm not sure how I can place an exclusion on the file.  The file is located within a VM and GRT is used.

AOFO is on, with all the default options configured.

I've attached a screenshot of what the job activity shows when the job has hung.

willjasen
Level 2

After working more with Symantec support, the problem has been resolved.

A hotfix was installed:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH180964