cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VXA 3 Autoloader does not report correct tape size

Stephen_Bausch
Level 2
I am running Backup Exec 10.d on a windows 2003 server with an exabyte VXA 320 Packetloader. The drive reports properly in Backup Exec, however the tapes that should report as 160/320 capacity show up as 80/160 gigs capacity. I am using V23 tapes. Exabyte confirms these should show up as 160/320. Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Media capacity is calculated based upon past experience, once a tape has been read from beginning to end via backups to the tape and then when the tape is overwritten afterwards; or from a long erase or full catalog job.

Hence we request you to perform an erase operation on the tape and check. Also perform a full backup until the tape is filled for example if the tape capacity is 160GB then perform a backup of 160GB with overwrite option. Once the backup is completed and next time when the tape is inserted for backup, check the media capacity displayed.

Hope this helps you.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Stephen_Bausch
Level 2
I turns out that the driver we were using, from Veritas was not giving us the correct capacity. After installing the latest driver from Exabyte for the drive, and then erasing the media, the tapes started to report the correct size capacity.