cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification causes system reboot

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I have 2 identical systems running in different locations.
One works fine (even backing up another server). The other reboots the system during backup (stand alone server).
Windows Server 2003 SP1, Backup Exec 10.0.5484 SP4
This happens every day I turn on verification.

If I run just backup, no problems. When I turn on verification, it causes the system to reboot when it encounters the problem.
If I do a separate manual verification of the same tape backup of the individual drives, I have narrowed it to a particular drive letter which causes the reboot. (Did this once during the day...Got everybody screaming at me for this!!)

Is there some kind of logfile somewhere which allows to see what file it was trying to verify at the time?
9 REPLIES 9

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Do you receive any events in the event logs?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
Nothing. The only indications I have of this reboot are:
1) Message is Event Viewer about reboot
The previous system shutdown at 1:41:41 AM on 3/29/2006 was unexpected.
2) In the BE Job Monitor, the elapsed time is 00:00 even though byte count is 123 GB.

Do you know of a way to get which file it was trying to verify at the time of the reboot?

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Robert,

The sgmon utility could help us check during the backup of which file the server booted.. http://www.seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190979.htm

Note: Start sgmon before starting the Backup. Also, to isolate the issue, could you please run a backup to the backup to disk to isolate the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
I will give this a try but it will have to wait till the following week. (I am away on vaction.) Please keep this open for now.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

We shall wait for the update.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
While I was away last week, this forum kept sending me emails about every 5 minutes. I got over a thousand messages. Please stop!!!!!!
============================
Please ignore above. I found that my watch settings was all forum updates....nasty!Message was edited by:
Robert Gadoury

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Robert,

We are closing this thread.

Thanks,

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
This question still seems to be open so I am going to continue it.

I have used SGMON to collect the log when using verification. (Verification causes my system to reboot so it is normally turned off.)

How do I attach the backup and SGMON log files so you can examine them?

Robert_Gadoury
Level 4
Closed this