cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas 12.0 Not able to see or restore individual mailbox

haruko
Level 3
Hi,

We have recently upgraded from 10d to 12.0.

In 10d, Exchange mailbox can be backed up as individual - and restoration would allow to restore single mail.

However, in 12.0, the Information Store was backed up successfully.

But when trying to restore a single mail from a mailbox, it would not show the list of mailboxes.

GRT option has been selected already (as you may see in the screen shot).

FYI:

- We are running Exchange 2003
- Backup jobs are to tape (not to disk folder)

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

In Backup Exec 12.0, you need to click on restore selections and expand the mailbox store to see individual mailboxes. I hope you are looking at correct place for mailboxes.

Thanks

haruko
Level 3
I'm sure I'm looking at the right place.

Please see enclosed screen shot.

http://www.freewebtown.com/haruko13/restore_001.JPG

Colin_Weaver

Are you fully patched with all the latest Servcie Packs and Updates for 12.0 as a number of GRT related updates have been released for that version.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Also, please make sure that remote agent  on the remote server is updated to the current version. Once confirmed, run a fresh backup and check the restore selections.

Thanks

haruko
Level 3
I'll try and post up any update, thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is the backup on tape or disk?

for v12.0, and If on Tape, I beleive that you need to duplicate to tape before you can select individual mailboxes

haruko
Level 3
Okay, so I've done all it has to be done - download and installed all patches, update remote agent, ran a fresh backup copy.

So this morning, I tried to simulate a restoration - but it is still not showing the individual mailbox.

Questions:

1.  Is it possible that if restoring information store from a tape device, the storage must be dismounted and restored to an alternate location and further restore individual emails?
2.  Anything else that I've overlooked?

I realized one of our client using 12.5 doesn't have any problem with this - all the settings are the same, backup to tape device, and they were able to restore individual email.

restore_002.JPG

Hemant_Jain
Level 6

Answers;
1. You would not need to dismount the store, if you use recovery storage group feature provided with Exchange 2003. The mailbox store can remian online while restoring to the recovery storage group.
2. Could you try creating a test mailbox store with some mailboxes and perform backup to see if that shows mailboxes in restore selection? This is just to isolate if this issue is related to that specific mailbox store or others too. Also, suggest you to see if backup to disk shows up the mailboxes. You may try duplicating this backup to disk and see if that shows the mailboxes. Can you provide any specific detail about the mailboxes here, like if they were migrated from some other version of exchange or another domain?

Thanks

haruko
Level 3
Hi,

I just completed a B2D and yes, now I can see the individual mailboxes.  Yet, when I tried restoring one email, I got this error:

Completed status:  Failed
Final error:  0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category:  Security Errors

"Unable to restore any content for (mailbox name) because the Microsoft Exchange database that hosts that mailbox is offline or the mailbox doesn't exist."

So I thought it was just a coincidence and tried with another mailbox, but no luck - getting the same error message.

As to answer your questions:

1.  The existing mailboxes were migrated from the old Exchange server (Exchange 2003, same version on the new server)
2.  They are on the same domain

I still can't figure out why when backing up to tape it's not showing but it did on B2D...

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
It appears to be a permission issue. Please make sure that the logon account created in Backup Exec has an activated mailbox on the Exchange server and also preferrably in the same mailbox store database. Also, it should have Exchange Full administrator privileges and should not be hidden from Global Address List. I would recommend, creating a new account and its mailbox and giving it a domain admin and "Exchange full administrator" rights on the Exchange server. Make this new account a logon account in Backup Exec and see if backups show mailboxes in restore selections after a new backup.

Thanks

haruko
Level 3

Hello,

So we have tried all sorts of methods but it didn't seem to be working for some unknown reason.

We have decided to roll back to 10d, but thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Adam_Salisbury
Level 2
With some minor exceptions, I'm doing B2D backup of Exchange 2007 SP2, I don't even see the Microsoft Information Store entries let alone those for individual mailboxes. I've checked the remote agent is the same version with same hotfixes as the BE server, MAPI installed on both BE and Exchange servers. The BE account in use has full domain and exchange admin permissions.

The jobs complete with no errors and all stores and mailboxes are visible when selecting which items to backup, the Exchange server and it's accounts built from scratch and on the same domain as the BE server. Please help!

vramosga
Level 2
Hello, I hope someone can help us. We can select individuals elements to restore (mails, contacts, etc), We also create the RSG using Exchange Tool box, but we always get the error E000FF00 "
No se pueden restaurar las bases de datos seleccionadas de Microsoft Exchange porque una o varias de las 
bases de datos del grupo de almacenamiento están montadas.  Utilice el administrador del sistema de 
Exchange para desmontar todas las bases de datos del grupo de almacenamiento Usuarios Correo y, a 
continuación, vuelva a realizar la tarea.
V-79-57344-65217- Se produjo un error al completar la operación 
en \\correos\MicrosoftInformation Store\Usuarios Correo
Ocurrió un fallo al efectuar la operación pos-restauración."
Sorry but we have spanish veritas 12.

Can someone help us?
Best Regards,

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
This issue can be caused by improper permissions for the System Logon Account.
Double Check the following settings:
1.) Backup Exec Services, System Logon Account, and Restore Credentials are using an account that has Domain Admins/Administrator Credentials.
2.) The Backup Exec logon account being used is an Exchange Administrator.
2.) An Active Mailbox on the Exchange Server exists for the Backup Exec logon account

Do not attempt to Dismount the Exchange Database and run the GRT Restore this may cause the database to be unmountable after the restore. If this happens you will need to move the log files out of the Database folder, and then try to remount the database

vramosga
Level 2
THANK RAHULG!!! :) :D
Evreything appears to be ok: point 1, 2, and 2 bis. Thanks for the advise!!!! we will not unmount the Database.
More context about the problems if you, or someone, can help :)
I read http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/312858.htm.
By reading other post now we know that GRT and RSG are diferents and that we do not need a Recovery Storage Group to recover a single mail (as we want).
I think the problems is that System Logon Account (mapped to the veritas service ActiveDirectory account, with mailbox and administratives permissions (AD and Exchange)) doesn't pass the Test in the "Resource Credentials" menu (in restore job properties windows) "Access is Denied". When we try to edit the user (Network -> Logon Account Management), a windows password (for AD account) is presented, but dosen't accept any passwod, always say that is wrong (the password is OK, we used to logon with AD account to OWA).
Thanks again for any help.
Best Regards