cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas 8.5 'Please Enter The Unique Mailbox Name.....'

Paul_Read
Level 3
Hi All, Currently experiencing a problem with a new installation of BE8.5. Upon trying to select/attach Exchange mailboxes in backup selections, the following error is generated. ''Please Enter The Unique Mailbox Name that belongs to the Backup Exec Services Account.' BE was installed using the Administrator credentials, and the administrator Credentials are used for the log on/running of the BE services. I have found 3/4 Tech docs on the KB but none of these have resolved the issue. This is quite urgent so any help much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Paul
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You need to associate the BackupExec Service account with an Exchange Mailbox before you can do Mailbox Backups. Then you need to logon to the Media Server as the service account and create and test an Exchange Profile

What is it asking for is the name of the associated mailbox.

Paul_Read
Level 3
Hi. many thanks indeed for your reply. The Backup Exec Services are using the Server/Domain Administrator account, which in turn has its own mailbox, so can I assume these are already associated? As for an Exchange profile, is it possible to do this without Outlook being installed on the server or am I mis understanding? Thanks for your help with this :)

Paul

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Nope

To do mailbox backups, Outlook MUST be installed in the media server.

This is because of the way that Veritas does brick level backups. The service account logs on to Outlook, then attaches to each selected malbox, then opens and "reads" each item in that mailbox

This is tremendously inefficient, especially across a network. We've seen reports of 15-20MB/min on decent hardware and 100MB/Full duplex networks

You may want to read through http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm to determin if you really want to do brick level backups at all.