cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Errors

crstine
Level 2
Has anyone come across error's of this nature when backing up Exchange 2003 mailboxes? I've already run a virus scan on the mailboxes (via Norton Security for Exchange), which came out clean.

Access denied to file . Top of Information Store Inbox Undeliverable: Returned mail: Data format error.

Access denied to file . Top of Information Store Inbox Message could not be delivered.

Seems like it could be a message in the Exchange queue that is having problems when veritas is doing a backup.
Any help is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Nimai_Sood
Level 3
Hi,

Thank your for posting your query,

Final Error Description: "Access denied to file . Top of Information Store Inbox Undeliverable:
Returned mail: Data format error"

Causes of these errors have been traced to (but not necessarily limited to):

-Anti-virus software accessing the Information Store at the same time as the backup, i.e. using the same Messaging API as Backup Exec does.(It is then recommended to stop Anti-virus software services when backing up the mailboxes).
-Multiple levels of embedded mail messages (a message attached to a message attached to a message and so
on)(remove message)
-Automated system messages (undeliverable, over size limit etc.)(remove message).
-The message / attachment is really corrupt (can't open, view or execute)(remove message).
-Virus infected Information store (clean for virus).
-Very long subject lines (remove message).
-Very long attachment names (remove message).
-Very large attachments (might give out of resource like errors)
To work on it Please follow this technote..
Document ID: 266219
http://support.veritas.com/docs/266219

We hope this information helps, if you have any other questions please respond to the post and we will be more
than happy to assist you further.
RegardsMessage was edited by:
Nimai Sood

Rohit_Sonawale
Level 6
Certified
Hi,

In addition to earlier post,

Please check whether you are getting any specific User names as Access denied or corrupt.

Check whether the same User avaibale in Active directory.

To resolve this issue you need to exclude the same User's Mailbox from the selection list.

Please advice the result.

crstine
Level 2
The error does pertain to one user now who is currently in Active Directory. The error pertains to "access denied". I've looked over my permissions for BUE, they seem correct in regards to access to the Information Store. This is happening on a Windows 2003 SBS. I've also deleted any outstanding mail in the deleted folder in the user's mailbox. The virus scan is not running during backup.

crs

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Veritas Technical Support.

This error could occur due to several reasons.

-Please verify that the mailbox is active and present in the same information store as the BESA account

-Please refer to the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255047 When backing up Microsoft Exchange 5.5 / 2000 individual mailboxes, the message " WARNING: "?Top of Information Store?? " is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify." is returned in the backup log as an exception in Backup Exec.

"NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days,
this post would be 'assumed answered' and archived."

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.