cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Backup Exec LAN-Free Backup

Kabila225
Level 3

Hello All,

I have two servers (DELL R740) connected to a storage array (DELL PowerVault MD3820f) via 02 Fiber Channel SAN Switches Brocade SANB300.

I also have a Backup Server connected to the Storage array via the Fiber Channel SAN Switches. The Backup Server is connected to a tape Drive via a SAS 6Gbps Cable.

The Backup Server contains Windows Server 2016 + Veritas Backup Exec 20 Gold for 5TB

The two servers (DELL R740) contain Windows server 2016 + SQL Server 2012 (there is no virtualization on those servers).

You can see all the details in the synoptic diagram attached.

My first question : Is it possible to configure LAN Free Backup with this ? if no, what is the right architecture ?

Second question : What type of agent to be used ?

Third question : Is there a specific configuration if I want to backup via the SAN instead of LAN ?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at "Off-Host Backups " in this blog:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Recovery-Community-Blog/LAN-free-including-SAN-backup-configuratio...

Also covered in Appendix L of BE Admin Guide:
- How to use off-host backup to process remote computer backups on the Backup Exec server
- Configuring off-host backup options for a backup job

Hello Marianne,

Thanks for the blog and the document. I will read them and revert you back.

Many thanks and have a nice day !

Hello Marianne,

I have read the HCL for DELL EMC.

As you can see below, just the MD3000, MD3000i, MD3200, MD3200i, MD3220 and MD3220i are listed.

MD3820f is not listed.

Does it mean that there is no VSS Provider for MD3820f ?

Does it mean that off-host backup is impossible with MD3820f ?

HCL.PNG