cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 10 and SharePoint 2003

Michael_Camisi
Level 3
It appears as though the latest version of Backup Exec (10.0) has been released. I also see mention of an agent for SharePoint 2003. I have read the whitepaper on the new SharePoint 2003 agent that works with Backup Exec 10.0 but it is not clear whether or not it supports brick level backups of sites and document libraries in SharePoint 2003.

With the SharePoint 2001 agent, you used to be able to restore a single file from a document library within a site without having to restore the entire database, portal, or server as the agent performed brick level backups of all sites and workspaces. When we upgraded to SharePoint 2003, we lost this ability and I was told by Veritas tech support that we would have this ability again with the release of version 10.0 and the new SharePoint agent...we just had to wait. The SQL Agent does not perform this option, but does allow some type of backup at the very least. However, it is the brick level ability that we are after. Would we now have the ability again to perform brick level backups and restores of sites, workspaces and document libraries with the new version and agent? There are times where single documents become corrupted or deleted, and we need to restore them. Restoring an entire site or server for one file is obviously not the best solution and takes a long time. Is brick level backup and restore of documents (item and site level backup and restore) supported with this new version and agent? AvePoint and CommVault have these solutions and hopefully Veritas does now too. This ability is crucial to us and has been sorely missed since upgrading to SharePoint 2003. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

Backup2Disk
Not applicable
I've seen the commvault SharePoint doc. It's fast and I will use it. Can this run in conjunction with BE 10?

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
You can back up and restore the SharePoint Portal Server, an entire SharePoint workspace, or the individual documents that are contained in the SharePoint workspaces. If you choose to back up the individual documents, you can quickly restore them without
restoring the entire SharePoint Portal Server.

For more details, please refer to page #1395 onwards in Admin Guide.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269777

Michael_Camisi
Level 3
Abhinav,
I have read through the admin guide and the section you refer to. The mention of individual document libraries and files states that it is for web storage system based libraries. SharePoint 2003, unless you change it, uses SQL storage systems for libraries and files. This is what I am inquiring about. It does not appear to be possible, which would be a huge disappointment, as I was told it would be possible with v10, and competitors offer such solutions for SQL based libraries.

SANDEEP_PILLAY
Level 6
Hi,

This agent supports backup and restore of SQLdatabases, document libraries, index databases, and some additional metadata. The SPS 2003 agent lets administrators scale a single-server SharePoint Portal Environment to large server farm environments. The use of server farms lets an administrator break out the various components of a SPS configuration to many servers in an enterprise. (Each server is a component of a server farm.) The SPS agent also lets administrators browse the farm independent from the rest of the servers in the enterprise.

Requirements for the SharePoint Agent:

The SharePoint Agent has the following requirements:
- The SharePoint Agent must be installed on the media server.

- The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers (Remote Agent) must be installed on each remote SharePoint Portal Server that will be protected. In addition,
for SharePoint Portal Server 2003, the Remote Agent must be installed on each SQL server in the server farm.

- The credentials specified by the logon account used for backing up and restoring SharePoint Portal Server data must have local administrative rights on the servers where SharePoint components are installed. Additionally, to back up and restore individual documents in workspaces or backward-compatible document libraries, the account must be granted the Coordinator role in SharePoint on all folders to be accessed in the workspace or document library.

We hope this will help.

Thanks

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

Michael_Camisi
Level 3
In response to your post...I do not see how you can backup and restore individual documents or document libraries that are SQL based with the SharePoint agent. All of the admin documentation mentions this ability ONLY with web based/SharePoint 2001 based document libraries. In SharePoint 2001 with the SharePoint agent, you could easily backup individual documents and restore just a single document if need be. It restored version history and all metadata. In SharePoint 2003 using SQL databases, even with the SharePoint 2003 agent, I do not see this ability or anything close to it. This is what I need.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
The document libraries will be seen under backup selections if you have upgraded from Sharepoint 2001 or imported the 2001 library into the 2003 Share point.
If no upgrade was performed, then you will be able to select only the databases.

At this time, only database level backups and restores are possible for Sharepoint 2003 and no invidividual documents can be restored.

Michael_Camisi
Level 3
Are there plans to offer document level backup and restore of SharePoint 2003 document libraries (not upgraded 2001 document libraries, etc.)? You had this ability in 2001. Also, your competition has this ability for 2003 and I was originally told that this function would be available with the 10.0 agent. It is sad to hear that it is not available and is sorely missed. While I would rather not move to a competitive product, it sounds like you are saying there is no choice if we want this level of protection.

Ashwin_Apte
Level 4
Hi,

You can log an enhancement for the feature on the veritas website:

URL: http://enhancement.veritas.com

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael_Camisi
Level 3
Yeah, I already did that before version 10 came out and we first started talking about this problem. That is when I was assured that it would be a feature in version 10. Obviously that was not the case. I'll put in another request, but that doesn't really appear to be a solution to me and I am not very confident that those 'suggestions' are actually taken in to consideration. I know I am not the only one with this issue and if the suggestions were taken in to consideration, this feature would already be available.

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
We understand that this needs to be included in Backup exec. And we regret the inconvienience.
However we request you to enter your request on the enhancement Website again, because larger the number of Querries the quicker it will be added in the next Version/build of Backup Exec.
NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as "assumed answered" and moving it to "answered questions" pool.

Poul_Behrendt
Level 4
Hey 403634484

I have read your communication with Veritas about backup and restoring Sharepoint 2003 server and can inform you that I have the same problems as you describe. I would like to write directly to you and hear about you experience in restoring a Sharepoint 2003 DB to another server.

If you are interested in helping me please write to pln@srts.dk

Yours,

Poul Nielsen
IT / System Administrator
Danish Meat Trader College