cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version 8.6 and Sony AIT Drive

Tim_Tarleton
Level 2
We have installed a new Sony AIT Drive Model SDX-700V in a 2000 SBS Server running Veritas BE Version 8.6 build 3878. Veritas eventually found a driver for the tape drive. It is the driver dated 13/11/2002 version 4.0.1381.1. However the backup stops after 10 minutes with the standard msg "Data Error (Cyclic redundancy check)" and critical errors: the tape is from a faulty batch. All Sony diagnostics run ok on both the drive and tapes which are all brand new. Alternating the tapes produces the same error. Is there an issue with BE Version 8.6 and Sony AIT Drives? Are they only supported with BE Version 9 or above? Any help much appreciated, Tim.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If you shut down all BackupExec services, does NT Backup run a full job OK?

Are you current on firmware and drivers for your SCSI controller?

Have you tried the latest manufacturer driver? Remove the drive from BackupExec, then upgrade the driver from Device Manager and rerun the hardware wizard.

Tim_Tarleton
Level 2
Thanks for that Ken. Ok, updated the SCSI controller driver and installed latest Sony driver. Still get the same error messages together with "The device, \Device\Tape0, has a bad block." in the Event Log. I have looked at Doc Ref: 2241684 but the errors for the Sense Keys I am getting are not listed. They are: "00 50 03".

NT Backup also fails to run successfully with the same errors.

Any other ideas? Thanks Tim.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The SDX-700V is not on the HCL ( http://support.veritas.com/dsl/lists/device_ddProduct_BEWNT_media_all_prod1_NT86.htm ) but the 700-C is so I would not expact compatibility problems. If NTBackup doesn't work either, it sound like new drive or not, your drive is faulty

Do you have any Mfg diags you can run against it?

Tim_Tarleton
Level 2
Sorted it at last. turned out that when I put the newer Veritas driver back on together with the updated SCSI Controller driver, the backup worked and has done since!

Thanks for your help anyway Ken, I just thought I would let you know.

Tim.