cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Job After Patching BE 12.5

pnewell
Level 4

Good day,

Late last week I patched my Backup Exec 12.5 server (331998) to allow proper backup of Windows Server 2008 R2 systems.  While I was at it, I noticed that Service Pack 4 was available, so I installed that as well.  I also pushed updated agents to all of my servers. 

Since that day one of my jobs has slowed down immensely .  The job is for my SQL servers; it backs up the databases on them and does a file-leve back up of the servers' volumes. 
Two servers have volumes dedicated to (native) SQL backups - the Z:\ volume.  This is the where I am having problems. 
Where before I was getting appx. 1826MB/min (finishing in 1 hour, 5 minutes) I am now only getting 861MB/min and it takes 2 hours, 18 minutes to complete.  The other server was getting 1938MB/min (finishing in 2 hours, 24 minutes) and is now getting 913MB/min, taking 5 hours, 2 minutes to complete. 

The only files on these volumes would be the .BAK files created by SQL. 

Any thoughts here on what's going on?  The jobs didn't change, nor has the data (size-wise) on the two troublesome volumes.  The only change other than the Backup Exec updates would be that I applied Windows Updates to all of my servers at the same time. 

Any help/insight would be appreciated. 
Thanks in advance!  :) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

Basic, suggestions... :)

Removable storage is disabled and stoped?

Did you update tape drives  (symantec drives)?

Check if you do not have a firmware update for your tape device.

Create a new backup job and run it.

Regads,

JoaoMatos

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

Basic, suggestions... :)

Removable storage is disabled and stoped?

Did you update tape drives  (symantec drives)?

Check if you do not have a firmware update for your tape device.

Create a new backup job and run it.

Regads,

JoaoMatos

pnewell
Level 4

Hi JoaoMatos,

On which system(s) should Removable Storage be disabled/stopped; the servers running the Remote Agents, or the Backup Exec Media Server?  Or maybe all of them?

No, I didn't update any of the tape drives drivers, but I do see that Microsoft has published an updated driver for my drives (two HP LTO Ultrium-2 drives in an Overland loader).  Should I update to these newer drivers, or stick with the ones I have installed?  Furthermore, I know there is something about using the Symantec drivers; should I be using the Symantec ones?  Do I specify them in BE or in the server's Device Manager? 

Firmware: according to the Overland website they have newer firmware for the tape drives in my autoloader (again, HP LTO Ultrium-2) and I found the one I THINK is for my model drives, as the current firmware version I have on them is listedon their site, but as a previous version. 
I tried to update it with the HP StorageWorks Library & Tape Tools but the program said (paraphrase) "This file isn't for this drive, and will likely cause problems; are you sure you want to do this?", even though Overland's download site said "If using HP StorageWorks click here". 
Any further suggestions here?  I just don't want to screw it up.  I will call Overland tomorrow if necessary. 

Lastly, I did NOT try a new backup job yet, but I will try that tonight & see if that helps. 

Thanks for the suggestions! 

pnewell
Level 4

I recreated the job, and it is now running the way it used to, so I think I am sitting pretty now - thank you again! 

Seeing as how there is an updated version of the firmware for the drives in my autoloader, I think I do want to want to update them anwyay.  Can anyone comment on my aforementioned issue regarding the firmware file (seemingly) not being correct?  I think it is the proper one, however, as the current firmware on the drives are listed as the previous version on Overland's website. 

Lastly, I am still curious about the drivers; I should be using the Symantec ones, right?  How do I "choose" them?  Is it good enough to just update them in Device Manager or do I need to do something through Backup Exec? 

Thanks again!