cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Maching Backup Question

prytzen
Level 4

When backing up virtual machines (Hyper-v), i have been told to put an agent on the Host machine and set up a backup shedule for the host machine. Then on the Virutal Machine, put an agent inside the machine as well so that you can do granular file recovery etc. But on that agent that is in the Virutal machine, do you also set up a backup regime for it, or is it handled (proxied) through the host machine?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You don't need to setup a backup regime for raws

The whole point of GRT is that it allows individual file and (supported) database content from within a VM without having to do a seperate agent based backup.

The reason an agent is needed for GRT is we gather catalog metadata and other information using that service and this enables us to access the granlar content during a restore.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You don't need to setup a backup regime for raws

The whole point of GRT is that it allows individual file and (supported) database content from within a VM without having to do a seperate agent based backup.

The reason an agent is needed for GRT is we gather catalog metadata and other information using that service and this enables us to access the granlar content during a restore.

prytzen
Level 4

Ok so just so that i understand this correctly. I put an agent on the host and have the backup regime there. I deploy an agent to the virtual but just leave it there without creating the backup regime. 

Right?

Donald_Eady
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Prytzen 

You're correct you would deploy an agent on both the the Host machine as well as the guest your backups would be targeted to the host machine and this would provide you with a one pass backup for all of the vms running on that host " and application level grt for those that have an agent deployed on them"

Take a look at the following Docs

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74442