Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual RDM

The_Boulon
Level 5
Partner

Hello,

I know that I cannot backup a Physical RDM via the AVVI agent.

But, as one of my customer also use RDM but in virtual, the question is: will I be able to backup it via AVVI?

I guess not but who knows :)

Olivier

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from the SCL regarding virtual RDM -

The data on the virtual compatibility mode RDM disk is backed up.  GRT is not attempted. The virtual compatibility mode RDM disk cannot be restored. Perform a redirected restore to restore data on the virtual compatibility mode RDM disk.

The_Boulon
Level 5
Partner

OK, will stick with guest backup on that kind of machines!

Usually clustered ones.

Thx

Colin_Weaver

Just for reference AVVI backups with any form of virtualized cluster or distributed technology are either not supported or only limited support (no GRT for instance) this is because there is no way to make a consistent snapshot for all parts of a virtual distributed environment

Note: I am not talking about clustered VMware datastores between ESX hosts I am talking about clustering, DAG, Sharepoint farms etc inside the VMs

The_Boulon
Level 5
Partner

Colin, that's what I want to backup (DAG, DFS Cluster, etc). But like I said, AVVI will not work in this case becau of the RDM.

So, I will have to fallback to guest backup.

Colin_Weaver

Actully as soon as you state DAG - then AVVI + GRT won't work because of the DAG. This would not work whether or not you used RDM

You basically seem to have at least 2 and possibly 3 configurations that are not fully supported by AVVI (or AVVI with GRT) and as such yes you will need to revert to using traditional agent backups as if they were physcial machines.